Best Bait for spawning bass?

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Feb 19, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    Lately me and my dad have been seeing a lot of bass in the creeks of Doctor's Inlet.We managed to catch a nice 2 pounder on a nightcrawler.When we cleaned her she was loaded with eggs.What baits work best for spawning bass.Lures or Live bait?

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I always use lures when I fish for bass.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Plastic salamanders texas rig. Salamanders eat fish eggs so bass eat the salamanders to protect the nest.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey "Katfish hunter"

You may want to give "Senko Worms" a shot - try them in "Watermelon Color". :)
    :0a23:
    Take It easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

5. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I would have to agree with RIP.... Bass will slam a salamander / lizard when they are beddin'.

Hey lil brother, I ain't knockin' ya for eating a bass but ya may want to wait till after they spawn. That way ya get a whole bunch of babies to catch later when they get big. Just a thought....

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    get a good pair of polarized glasse aand throw a big flippin type tube jig rigged texas style on the bed. if that doesent work use a flippin type tube on a stand up jig head. bite will be very light .

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Plastic salamanders do well, but live Helligrmite's stuck on a #1 gana-git-u:) octopus, in the tail.

With a 1/8oz slip sinker above a barrel swivel.on a 16-18" leader,17lb mono. will stop them in their tracks.

Bass on the nest will not stand for one to get close to its nest. they will swim up take a look at it with tail in the air, then suck it right up everytime.you will have a blast:thumbsup: . Good Luck.C&R

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i like to find the nest on a lake or pond and flip a jig and bounce it in the nest. The bass will bite out of protection instead of it being hungry

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would use a bandit 200 series crank bait or a blue and black plastic lizard texas riged

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have also heard that a salamander lure is good bait for spawning bass

11. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I too would use a salamander, Texas rigged.

12. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If They Are Shallow Enough To See Them, I Would Use About A 3 Or 4 Inch Shiner. Bass Do Get Upset When Those Little Ones Come Around Shopping For Food And They Get To Close To The Nest.

13. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    if the water is clear and you can see them spawning, i say live bait right on the nest works great but just about any plastic or jig on the nest will provoak a bite. i also agree let the bass go if their spawning. best for the fishiery

14. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well there you go Katfish hunter. Go get'um. And good luck!

15. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I fish on the Red River a lot. My husband went last tues and caught 50 bass around 1-2 lbs each (kept the 10 fish limit of course). I went with him on thursday and we got 3 on spinnerbait then switched to the black flip tail lizard with red flake and caught 12 ranging from 3-5 lbs each. Flip tail lizards are hard to find, we get them at a place called Bacons in Shreveport. If you find them, try to get them in black....if not the black w/red flake work wonders. Those bass hate a lizard. When nothing else fails we use it and ALWAYS catch a good mess of bass. When they hit, dont set the hook imediately, just reel in a tad to make sure they have it and then set the hook hard. We fish them texas rig only and it is fool proof . Another think I like to do is if I am using a spinner bait and there is a lot of that duck weed, I take it and toss right into a small hole in the weed and use it as a buzz bait, right on top the water.....the bass will literally JUMP over the duck weed to get it and the fight is on.....Good luck!