best bait for river fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by melstangman1967, Mar 27, 2008.

1. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what does anyone think best bait for general river fishing for cat?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Any smaller fish that swims in that same river. If you have herring or shad, I would use that first. Next would be the sunfish like bluegills or crappies. a small carp would get a monster and last to go would be a nice sized legal bass!

Catfish eat everything that swims in the water.

Good luck my friend!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think most answers will be the same on this one: cut skipjack/cut shad/live bluegill/chicken livers/nightcrawlers/anything that stinks.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    for cats in the rivers out here i use live/cut bluegill, carp (if i can catch any), and nightcrawlers. i use chicken livers, but dont prefer them.

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    in the spring i catch plenty of cats and anything else on night crawlers
    the beggining of summer swith to small green sunfish and minnows
    summer i use carp and sand toads and stink baite
    fall i use carp
    but i catch fish on shrimp all thrue the warm season so i would have to say the baite i always have on hand are shrimp

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Cut bait is always my first choice. Sometimes you just can't beat a clump of night crawlers too.

7. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For channels I use chicken or beef liver,cutbait or live bait such as blue gills , chubs, and suckers.Channels can also be taken on pieces of hotdog and night crawlers as well as stinkbaits.Channels can also be taken on crawdads and shrimp. For flatheads I use fish, alive or dead, whole or cut.I`ve never caught a flathead on stinkbait or liver,they seem to like fish as bait.

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cut anything, though night crawlers work also.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut shad or perch, live perch, or a big ol chunk of fresh cut carp. i've only used fresh cut bait for the last several years and got away from the stinky stuff, or wife repellent as i call it.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A ole timer (GRANDPA) said the best bait is the natural bait of your body of water....you cant go wrong....................

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i want to try some bullheads or small channels (about 5 inches) but until i get around to it i'll stick with my shad and bluegills, cut or whole.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't guarantee it's the same for the rivers you fish, but on the Arkansas River, I've always done much better with fresh cut shad or skipjack. I've even heard several old riverrats say that if you don't have any fresh shad or skipjack, you might as well stay home. I don't think it's quite that bad; I've caught fish on other baits, but if other baits are all I've got, I know I'm in for a slow day of fishing. Never had a real good day using other baits.

13. Lil'John

Lil'John New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Channel cat will bite about anything, exspecially if it stinks. However, the flatheads prefer live bait. Natural bait from the area that you are fishing sometimes works best.