Best Bait For OHIO River @ Cincinnati?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ckhismine, Nov 29, 2006.

1. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok IYHO whats the best bait for fishing the Ohio River in downtown Cincinnati? Bluegill,Bream Ect.

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Mike ,I havent been fishing in the cincy area.I have lived here for two years and dont know much about that area.
    I would love to know more about where to launch my boat some where in that general area
    But if I was fishing in the river for big cats or just fishing for cats I would use skipjack or shad for the bait.
    I have had good success with shad guts and skipjack cut bait.

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Been getting them on both Skips and Shad................Doc

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Like Doc said.....skipjacks and shad are hard to beat.

5. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma

the last time i was home i used chicken liver and live perch
    it was back in the spring

did great

6. fitzytbone1

fitzytbone1 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    From what I hear, upriver in the Aberdeen area by the power plant, they are catching many fish and all 30+ lbs. They say they are catching them on shad and creek chubbs. A guy I know has an uncle that went baitfishing before it got cold the first time around and has a huge tank in his barn with live bait for the winter...or as long as it lasts him...Been itching to get out but haven't had a chance due to school stuff but I normally use shad in this area and I fish any where from Coney Island up to the Beckjord Power Plant.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I had luck with all sorts of bait this year...Live gills, gill heads, live sucker and chubbs, cut sucker and chubbs, live and dead shad....I have caught some monsters from downtown in 2006 also..Got a 50, and a 68 lb flattie over the summer...Now its getting time to move on up river and start targeting the big blues...Good luck to you

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    GO With what Doc said for the Cats!!!!

In NE Ohio on the Ohio River 80+% of the Flatheads I get will only "Lite-Bite"
    the cut baits and they can be a little tricky to hook. I only get about a 10% hook-up ratio and proud of it too.

:big_smile:

9. cincynick

cincynick New Member

State:
    ohio
    you can't beat shad or skipjack