Best Bait For Minnows

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kyredneck, Feb 20, 2007.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've used a variety of baits in minnow traps and I'd have to say that 'storebought' cottonseed mealcake (Hoggums I think) gave the best results. But I'm too tight to buy it and would be interested to know what has caught minnows (of any kind) for you all.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    If there is no current take a slice of bread and ball it up as tight as you can. Put 2-4 in each trap. Never pulled a empty trap out yet, and we've been doing it for years.

Good luck.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Shelby. You ever try to trap them in water other than small creeks or streams, like in a big river w/slight current?

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    u can use same method in rivers with fast current, but u need to find an eddy where the current is broken. I use range cubes in my traps since they break down slowly and all that.

another idea is to get unopened coke can and use knife and cut it in half. fill with bread and push back together(top over bottom or vice versa) then punch some small holes in it. the current will wash the scent down stream but no the bait.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    In a medium to large sized river w/little current (backwater), where would be the best choices to set the traps and is there a 'one bait catches all' for baitfish?

6. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you tried saltine crackers? I know I've seen previous posts from members using crackers.

Wooly

7. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    You can also use dry cat food or dog food in the trap, it will take awhile for it to break down and wash completely away.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I use bread or crackers but thats in ponds, lakes and creeks. Might try putting the bait in pantyhose or something to keep the bait there longer.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Alfalfa pellets are killer for sunfish.

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    A can of cheep dog food punch holes in the can and put it in the trap. You'll catch all kinds of small fish.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Canned sardines.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Bread and Crackers is a good bait for Minnows.

13. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Dunno if its the best or not but dry dog food is the easiest for me to use and it works great.

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks to you all for sharing. I’ve tried a lot of those things before, except for the canned dog food, sardines, and rabbit pellets. I’d say my very own dough bait would probably be good for this.

I guess what I’m really after here is to learn exactly where to trap baitfish and the best methods to do so in a ‘big river’ ecology. In all my years of fishing, trapping bait was never a priority because there’s better payoff going to the creek with a seine. And when I have trapped, it was always in creeks and not the ‘big water’ that I’m actually fishing. So, this new to me. I’m half lame now with pins & brackets in my bones and I’m not so eager to brave the slick creek bottoms (and cold water) in order to collect live bait. I think it would be ssooooo cool to get in the boat, mosey downstream, lift a trap loaded with baitfish, and then go fishing. I know there’s some brothers out there that have some techniques down to pat and I’d love to learn them.

I found this on the web, probably some good info:

http://www.nativefish.org/articles/MinnowTrapBait.php

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a goldfish pond so i use the goldfish feed.it floats at the top of the jug so it doesnt wash away to quick/

16. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    what size minnows are you looking for? I use bigger bait and I go to small creeks and use a wax worm and little bobber and catch good sized shiners and creek chubs. sometimes it's more fun than the actual catfishing.

17. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    In a lake here in NC, I had a minnow trap that I baited with something(don't remember what) but I didn't catch any minnows. A guy told me to crush up a few mussels and I did and loaded the trap up with minnows.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    All sizes.

Yea, I have alot of fun fly rodding for bluegils for bait.

19. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since I began useing a castnet a couple of years ago I don't use a trap anymore. Well except for the ones that are left in one of the three ponds that I catch bait from. These are big traps. They are more like an appartment for perch. Anyway...when I did use a minnow trap, it was usually in a pond, and I seemed to catch bait whether I baited the trap or not. Usually used either dry balls of bread, or dogfood. In a big river I would think that either a castnet for shad, or rod 'n' reel for skips would work the best. If I were going to set a minnow trap in a big river, it would be behind a dike in the dead water there, and would probably toss a fish head in there. If I didn't have a fish head, a sock full of liver would do.

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    To state the obvious, different species will occupy different habitat, so it seems to me it would depend on what kind of minnows you're targeting.

That said, I think I'd try backwaters with minimal current and some sort of escape structure. Trying to think like I'm at the bottom of the food chain, here.:lol: