Best Bait for large Channel Cats?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by spcmitchell28, Apr 14, 2008.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I was just wondering what you guys use to target larger channel cats 10+ preferably. I fish the Chickahominy river and catch lots of larger Blues, but no channels. I know they are in there, ive seen guys catching smaller ones off the piers.

2. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    You cant beat whole or cut shade for big channels. If you are already using this, then try some large minnows and see if you have much more succeses.

3. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Thanks I might have to give that a try, what size shad do you think would be best? I usually catch several with a cast net, before I go out but most the ones I use for cut bait are 11-12 inches long and I always figured they were way to big to use whole. Have you ever tried using shad that big whole before?

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Try using large cut bait and fish the same as for the blues, ONLY, try to find some water with a slightly faster current.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would say cut bait would be your best bet

6. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    The water I fish is right at the mouth of the main river right under a bridge. The current is usually moving pretty good, since it is a tidal river. Will a heavy current effect channel cats? also the spot where I fish the water goes from about 30ft to 50ft+. Is that too deep for channels?

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut carp, live bream, cut shad have all produced 10+ channels for me.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive caught the biggest ones using bluegill heads myself.

9. catfishjohn54

catfishjohn54 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    In both Nebraska and Kansas reservoirs I use the largest raw shrimp I can find. Check at any oriental grocery store, especially vietnamese that get them big bay shrimp, or your local grocer's freezer. I skewer them on a 2/0 kahle hook. Watch out!

10. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    To answer your question, I would have to say a shad about 6 inches long would do for large channels. A 4 inch shad would do for any size you wish to catch if you can catch any that size. And yes I have used shad that big before. Me and my buddy ended up having 8 pieces of cut bait out of just one. Those were the biggest shad I have ever seen in my life.

11. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I have never seen them this big either, but we have been catching them fairly big 12in+. With a cast net. We usually only catch them one at a time that large, so they are the ones that end up being cut up. I was just wondering if anyone had used ones that big alive?

12. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Are shrimp that cheap up there to use as bait? Here in the peidmont of NC they are $10 bucks a bag, to expensive to use as bait.

13. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I dont know about kansas, but they are way to expensive to use as bait in MO.:crazy:

14. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Unless your going for gar, 100+ lb cats or some other large predatory gamefish, I wouldnt reckomend you use a shad that big whole. You might choke the fish or scare him away Lol.

15. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    lol, I kinda figured that would be the case. I would be scared to try and set a hook on something running a bait clicker with that big of a shad.lol

16. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I wouldnt be surprised if a 20 - 30# channel could fit a 12" shad in its mouth. A couple weeks ago my buddy caught a .5# channel on a 2 inch cube of cut shad. The cat barely fit it in his mouth. So I dont see why they wouldnt try to take it if it seemed wounded, and easy prey. Now am I going to throw a piece out there that big? No. I would cut it in half, or maybe thirds. Youare almost as likely to catch a huge one, but more likely to catch a good sized one that way. The bigger the bait though the less tiny ones you will catch. Just remember if its dead, or othwise easy prey and they think they can fit it in their mouth then they will try.

17. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    During day light hours fish around weeds stumps and any other submerged cover. The channels ive caught have almost all been caught on livers shrimb and hotdogs. Almost any oily meat product will work though. Hope this helps a little bit.

18. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    If you ask for the old meat and fish they usually give it to you for free. They give me the old salmon that isnt any good any more for about 25cents a pound. They are killer for channels and bullys because it stinks to high heaven.

19. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Learn your river well. See what kind of forage this big channel has to choose
    from. More than likely cutbait from the dominant baitfish which seems to be
    shad will be your best bait as your brothers have told you earlier. However,
    if you have catalpa worms in the trees on the banks when they are common
    that might be his favorite snack food. If there has been hard rains, river
    bank earthworms might be his target. Crawdads or peeled crawdad tails can
    be really great especially if they came from his river. Oh, most specimen
    hunters I've read notes from say that when you are going for Mr. Big, the
    standard weapon is a shad of that 10-12" size cut about an inch in back
    of the gill flap straight through the spine. Use the head end which has a
    good chunk of gut attached and hook through the eyes.
    Current has a lot to do with what a channel cat does. Hunt for a rock or
    log that blocks current near the head of a hole just below a riffle. That
    cat will wait there for something to drift by when he is hungry. If he's the
    biggest channel in the hole, he will have the best spot to catch dinner.

20. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Thanks, I might have to try that myself. Fresh Shrimp work wonders at the local lake, so old shrimp would probably be killer here.