Best bait for jugs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by okie catfishen, Jul 11, 2006.

1. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    What do you guys think is the best bait for jug lines? I fish a 150 acre lake near my home and have been using fresh fish i catch on rod and reel. Like perch and crappie. Is this what you guys think is best? Sometimes i have a hard time catching enough bait for my jugs, and I do not have a fish finder on my boat to find schools of shad and I am not sure there is shad at the lake I fish.

Keith
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

2. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I run jugs occasionally in the Arkansas River and I use cut shad and they never let me down.

3. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Stick with the cut bait. I would put a little more fun in catching the baitfish. They are easier to catch than the catfish lol.

4. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use cut bait but when I feel cheap or can't get bait fish I use hotdogs cut about 2 inches long. 69 cents a pack at Walmart.

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use cut gill or shad. You might want to try a castnet for catching bait. Makes it alot easier but check your state laws first.

6. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    man shad chunks is the best i found and live largest minnow you can get

7. PITBULL2888

PITBULL2888 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    what about chickin livers

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wouldnt suggest using crappie, most places its illegal, and 2 they are a game fish and well worth keeping for eating.

We use fresh shad mostly and live perch when available. Shad catch fish more consistantly for us, but the perch catch bigger fish.

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    1st choice Shad 2nd perch 3rd hotdogs 4th chicken livers in that order

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    My choice for big cats is 3 - 4 inch live perch second would be live shad bout the same size anything bigger gets hacked up. When useing cutbait I change them alot more often than I would when useing live. Perch is the best due to the fact that ive had them stay alive on a hook for days, shad on the other hand wont live very long. Ive used hot dogs when I just couldn't catch anything for bait but Ive never caught anything big off them. I do my best in the dead of winter on lake texoma the colder the better. Ive got a old shallow pond that i run a sein net across before I head out to the lake with the jugs. I have a 33 gallon drum with a bilge pump in the bottom with PVC pipe running up the side of the drum with a 90 at the top and then about 3 inches of pipe with a cap. Put one cut in the pipe so it will spray down hard putting oxygen into the water. Have a lid on top the set up is ran on 12 volt, will run for days on one charge. Best set up ive come up with for keeping alot of bait for juggin, cheap to make too.

11. JimD

JimD New Member

State:
    tx
    How much of a problem do you have in the river with the gar and turtles taking your live perch off before the catfish have a chance?

I have a new place to go on the Colorado but it is drought there and no water till they open the dam in the late afternoon for several hours other wise there is very little water running at all.

The hole is 400 yards long 100 wide with a rock bluff on one side and rocks in the river there. 14 ft is the deepest with two small springs running into the hole. On either sie the water is running say a total of 20 by 1 ft of water during the time the dam in closed then 2 to 3 feet of water all across the river bed.

suggestions?

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    cut shad or blue gills about 4" long

13. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I'm fishin' for flatty's and blue's, I'll use small bluegill, scaled on one side and hooked behind the dorsal fin. (Unless I'm right up on a root wad, then I'll mouth hook him.) If I'm fishin' for food (channel cats), I use Zote soap. It's clean, cheap, and if I'm in a bind for time, the wife will help me. A 99 cent bar will yield 40-50 pieces of bait....And it does produce.

14. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive caught my share of gar on jugs but Iva caught alot more on trotlines for some reason heck ive caught water turkeys, turtles, and beavers on them but jugslines I mainly only catch cats. uselly when ive got a striper or gar on the jug will be pulled way off.