BEST BAIT FOR FISH TRAP

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by CATCHARMER, Jul 27, 2009.

1. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I AM LOOKING TO TRY A FISH TRAP FOR FLATHEAD BAIT. WHAT IS THE BEST BAIT TO USE IN A TRAP FOR RED BREAST/GILLS? ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO MAKE A TRAP OR WHERE TO BUY IN THE MIDDLE GA AREA?

2. coolbreeze70

coolbreeze70 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Richard, look in the members library and there is a good looking trap that is in a x shape. It looks real easy and cheap to make. When I get home I am planning on building one or two. As for bait, the various post talk about dog food and stuff similar to that. They also say to use chunks of a white foam cooler, the cheap type that looks like it has the round balls in it. I plan using a mixture of the foam and dog food and maybe something else such as corn. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009

3. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    try some raw peanuts . soak in hot water for 4 or 5 dayes . or untill they stink like a wet hogpen

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Try some bullheads or catfood. :wink:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck with the trap idea brother

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    It is illegal to take gamefish in Georgia with fish traps. All gamefish used for bait must be taken with a rod and reel.

7. CATCHARMER

CATCHARMER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I'M TRYING TO CATCH BAIT. NOT TRYING TO CATCH ANYTHING ELSE.

8. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    some states require game fish like bream to be taken with hook and line from public waters . if you trap them in a private pond there you go .

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Like Derric said, you must use a hook and line to take bream from public waters in Georgia. It does not matter if you're only using them for bait. :wink:

10. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    none.... you will get a nice fat ticket unless you use it in a private pond.....if you use it in a pond try dry cat food

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    can catfood it'll catch mudcat , shiners , crawdads(crayfish),hornyheads all leagal.

12. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Koozy Kitty can cat food If you can find it, meal cake, dry dog food in a small laundry bag. OK that said I have never had Mr Green Jeans check my bait fish for hook marks and like some of the fokes here my Gills might stay in the holding tank for a week, enough time for a # 4 or 6 hook mark to heal up, it is what it is catching bait:0a10: