Best bait for bullhead catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by coolbig2, Sep 23, 2006.

1. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Ive usually caught them on accident using corn while i was carp fishing. Should i just continue to use corn, or is there some other bait that will catch them and only them (and some other cats)?

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I have seen them caught on worms and stink baits.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I just use the good ol' standby = Nightcrawlers!

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I've alway had great luck using bait shrimp.

5. bclumsky

bclumsky New Member

State:
    kansas city
    ive cought them using chicken liver while fishing for channels.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Worms, and Liver!

7. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I allways got them on crawlers and red worms

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I don't think there are too many things a bull head won't bite on, I've caught em all the standard catfish baits but if I was fishing just for bullheads I don't think you can beat night crawlers or grass hoppers.

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I've caught hundreds on bacon. Also beef liver works good.

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Chicken Liver Works Good.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive' found that if their concentrated in the waters then they'll take about any bait you throw at em

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I worked a Wordens Rooster Tail around some snags and pulled in a good sized bullhead.

Rooster Tails are the majority of my artificial lure collection. They are the only artificials in my tackle box of which I have various weights and colors. From rainbow trout to bigmouth bass, I have caught them all on these lures.

This is not intended to advertise a product, but I would like to see Wordens become a sponsor of the BOC! :smile2:

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    WORMS WILL TEAR THEM UP! I bait my trap with dog food to catch them.

14. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Nightcrawlers or stinkbait always worked for me.

15. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I usually catch them on crawlers & livers. but I once caught one on a spoon when fishing a small stream for trout.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Believe it or not over home when I was a kid I caught them on cig.filters. So many small ones in this pond they were starving and would hit anything threw out there. Night crawlers works best.

17. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Have even caught some real skinny bullheads on jigs!

18. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I have always caught them on nightcrawlers, but I noticed when I put them in the tank, my catfish doesn't go after them unless they are cut up. It probably releases the smell. So I would pass them through the hook several times to release the scent. Chicken liver, in small pieces works good, as well as small pieces of fresh cut bluegill.

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Chicken livers are the best over all bait for bullheads. The trick to catching countless bullheas on liver is "ALL WAYS keep your livers cold & only use the freshset livers you can". Once the livers get hot or are old you can forget about them working so well for bullheads. My 2nd chice for bullheads would be "LIVE Grass Shrimp" keep them in COLD water only use fresh live G.S.,I keep a little bit of ice in the bait bucket to keep them cool. 3rd would be "Red Worms".

Something most Ppl don't know about bullheads is they like fresh baits over smelly/old baits. I put a two bullheads in a tank once and tried feeding them old shrimp,old cheese and other smelly stuff. Within a week and a 1/2 I noticed they were not eating any of the stuff. However they sure was munching on my fish it was a 20 gal tank and had about 25 topical fish in it,within a week and 1/2 I only had 6 fish left.

20. wizkersNworms

wizkersNworms New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've always had phenomenal success for bull heads or "yellerbellies" as some of my buddies call them, with redworms out of my garden. If you create a good compost pile, and get tons of worms in there, they really stink. If you find a spot with lots of bullheads, try putting two hooks out there with a redworm on both, and get ready to land two at a time!