Best bait for blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by rodney07, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    What is the best bait for blues this time of year?

2. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hi Rodney! Welcome to the BOC! I'm not sure what type of baitfish swim the waters of Georgia. I can be sure though fresh cut-bait is the way to go. If you have access to shad, herring, alewifes, carp, suckers.etc., definently give those a try. A nice chunk or strip of fresh cut-bait should do the trick on the BLUES. Good Luck!

:0a26::0a18:
    Mark

3. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    Thanks Mark, I going to try some cut bait and see how I do.

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Rodney welcome to the BOC you could go to a fish house and get some good innards and such from where they cleaned fish recently that is supposed to be good of course all areas have different luck but a cat is a cat and blood bait is good

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Blues definitely like fresh cutbait. I like to use bream. I just take a pole, some hooks, and some worms and go to a creek or pond and catch some bream to use for cutbait. You won't catch as many fish with cutbait, but the average size will be larger.

6. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    If I am not mistaken when I lived in Ga. it wasn't legal to use bream, has that changed and if so they make great cat bait. I always fillet one side but leave it on the fish and hook the bream near the head. If it isn't legal to use bream large shiners, skip jack, I have even used mullet fillets and had good success.

7. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I fillet any of my bait, whether it is shad, bream, skip jack, gold fish down one side starting from the tail all the way to the head. I cut the dorsal fin and tail fin off and hook the fish from inside the fillet side with the bone and exit the side that is not filleted. This is how I fish for blues. For Flats, I hook the live bait behind the head just below the front of the dorsal fin.

8. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd have to go with a good fresh cutbait also. They are going to start stuffing themselves with winter killed baitfish.

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    welcome to the BOC (SHAD in the winter ! )

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Ive been using Blueback herring. I do like bream/gills but they are a pain to find this time of year where I fish. I think Ive seen 1 gill since last year, lol.

-Jim-

11. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:big_smile:

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Fresh Skipjacks, Shad, and Asian Carp in the summer, with The Skips being my go to bait.

13. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Cut bait. Especially bream.

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Of all the baits that I sometimes use.......cut skipjacks....shad.....bluegils....or livers..... I have caught more and larger Blues on fresh cut Bluegil "HEADS". :crazy:

15. LakeHoustoncatkiller

LakeHoustoncatkiller New Member

State:
    TX
    I caught an 11 pounder yesterday on fresh cut freshwater drum (also known as gaspergoo) just stick to cut bait and you'll get them

16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    skippies or shad for me now and definitley skippies in the summer

17. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like folks have said, skips or shad, but on some days they seem to bite "gutpockets" best and some days "fillets" and on other days its hard to beat a big "head"! Different presentations of the bait sometimes are the ticket to getting a bite! Big bait or small chunks, I try to use different presentations on different rods to find out what interests the fish that given day!:wink: Some days, NOTHING gets the fish to bite!

18. Texas catfish hunter

Texas catfish hunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Rodney, I just joined the BOC yesterday and I am really pleased with the responce I have gotten to my questions. Now about yours, I live in Abilene Texas and right now the blues have started running. My fishing partner and I use trotlines and have caught over 100 lbs in the last week alone. We use live perch or bream. The bigger the better. I put some on last night as big as my hand and took a 21 and 12 pounder off this morning. I hope this helps. Good Luck

19. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    a big slimy chunk of bleeding shad

20. muzkrat

muzkrat New Member

State:
    va.
    i would use whatever is local to where you are fishing. here it is shad and i use them whole or in chunks depending on size. cut gills and crappie are good too.