Best bait for bigger bluegill ?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by 18lbflathead, Nov 16, 2006.

1. 18lbflathead

18lbflathead New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What is the best bait to catch big bluegill.Thank you for your post.:embarassed:

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use Ultra light gear for Bluegills - 2 lb line usually or 4 lb at most. Or I use a 3 weight fly rod with a max of a 6X tippit.

For offerings, on an UL set-up, I use a float with worms, caterpillars, grubs, maggots, meal worms, or wax wroms on a fine wire aberdeen hook or a bait holder hook in sizes of 12, 10, or 8. Crickets and smaller grass hoppers work too. I also use really small jigs (1/32 or 1/16 oz) with with plastic curly tails or tubes sweetened with a piece of crawler. Beetle spins and other micro sized spinners can work, but I've usually not done as well with them.

On a fly rod, just about any dry fly that looks like the local bugs, in sizes of 18 - 12, or nymphs in sizes of 22 - 12 will work.

3. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    wax worms they can't lay off of them or small chunks of night crawlers smaller hook the better

4. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I know this sounds nasty , but if your catching bluegill for bait, take the eyes out and use them. Bluegill will absolutely go nuts for another bluegills eye on a hook. I have no idea why but man it works.
    Plus one will last you forever , they stay on a hook and are tough.

5. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    the only bait i use is crickets and i catch huge bluegill on em

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use bee moth/wax worms on my ulta light. They love them!
    Bill

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My biggest gills were caught on nightcrawlers. You gotta be in the right place for bigguns, or the small ones will tear your worm up. My pb was 9.5 inches, caught in a dirty retention pond.

8. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Find yourself a good farm pond stocked full of bluegills. Your sure to catch some bigguns from there.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Of course like always, there's a time and place...early spring is better than most times. I've liked lakes that have good shellfish, and sandy areas. I fish fishfinder rigs in the shellfish beds in the spring. Light leader and small circle hooks, 1/8-1/4 oz egg weights, depending of depth/current. On an UL set up, this weight also allows you to do something necessary, which is cast long distance without spooking the biggest fish. The little guys won't go anywere when you come up on them, but the big ones will. I generally catch fish from 1/2lb up to a 1 1/2lbs.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have found the old addage bigger bait =bigger fish to be true also the bigger bluegill will usually be below the smaller ones in a school try using a tad bit more weight to get the bait down faster

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    corn, size 18 hook, 4 pound test line, bobber, a zebco33 on a small zebco rod ...all i use and i catch bluegills for catfishing, dont really keep weight of my gills recorded or ever measure/weigh them, i just throw em in a bucket full of water. same thing if i wanna catch bigger ones only i have a slightly bigger hook and sometimes ill throw little chunks of crawlers at em to.

12. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I have to agree with Richard on this one. I never knew just how big the gills were in Keystone until I was fishing a bass tourny. I was using a small crank bait that ran about 6 ft. deep and started catching the biggest gills I have ever seen in Keystone.Tried fishing shallow and only caught the little ones.So size does matter? JMO Allen

13. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The best bluegills I've ever caught were on a small spinnerbait when I was bass fishing. It was the traditional style spinnerbait, but just small. Caught several big gills approaching a pound in a little clear pond. I just kept throwing it at this big tree that had it's roots in the water and they kept hitting it. They cleaned up pretty well. :smile2: From then on I never go out without a couple different colors of that same spinnerbait. It always does well.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    rooster tail or mepps. The little ones will hit it too but u will only hook the ones with a mouth big enuff to get on

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I just use them good old crickets rig on a small float, with 8 lb test line, with a no 4 hook. I use this rig on ul spinning reel and rod.

16. onemorecast

onemorecast New Member

State:
    Moore, Oklahoma
    All of my big bluegills have been caught on small to medium sized crankbaits. My biggest a 12 1/2" was caught on a 3/4 oz spinnerbait fishing for bass.

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive caught my biggest bluegills using minnows. That and have also caught them on what I call mini spinnerbaits. They are much bigger than rooster tails, probably a half or third the size of a normal spinnerbait.

18. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    The best I've found is a little gold colored jig called a trout magnet with the little red plastic worm that comes with it. The yellow works but not near as good as the red.

19. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Brian,

Sounds like we are talking about the same thing. I think it is called a mini-bomber. Works pretty good. So does my favorite trout lure, a Little Cleo.

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I like to use wasp larva, they work great, but can be a little painfull to get, you can allso put some red food color on em, or green and work just as good. But the best bait I ever used is small crawfish.