Best bait for big lake channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by snakeman76, Jun 24, 2009.

1. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Hey guy lst couple months I have been fishing off and on at my favorite spot and I have no problem catching 5# to 8# pound channels but I am ready for some big ones I been useing whole sometime cut shad about 2 to 3 inches but no takers I ordered some of the dead red spray from team catfish and I am thinking about using that with my shad.I may try some live shad because I have caught big channels in other lakes with live shad but not a whole lot. what about cut mullet or mackrel I have never use these on cats???

2. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    A.J. Hit it about right. SkipJack is a cats favorite choice. TallmanRus and Raysplay no doubt will agree. My favorite is FREASh good quality chicken livers them at walmart melt! YUCKY fryer livers. They stay on the hook without thread anbd can be sling pretty hard......

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I like the skip jack idea but i never seen any around here and Im not a big fan of livers they only see to work for me in ponds but thanks:wink:

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Live or cut gills are candy to them large channels:wink:

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Greg, I would use live bait like bluegill's or whatever you normally catch at the lake you are fishing. I would use a slip bobber and set it about 3.5'-5' deep max.

Use big baits like bluegills at least 6" up to 10" you would be surprised at what an 18lb channel can eat. Looking for big channels I would not use livers or worms or dip bait you can use shad just use big bait like a 10" shad would make two baits the head and the gut pocket the whole thing should be around 5 inches or so. Also use cut bluegills the bigger the better. I also you bigger hook like a 8/0 eagle claw king Kahle.

On windy days fish the wind blown banks and on calm days fish just in front of a weed bed or grass or the bank like not more then 15' out.

6. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Thanks Shelby I am going to try that with the big shad and bobber sounds like a winner and you just described my favorite whole thanks bud if Im lucky i will post some pics this weekend after i go.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Use bigger baits. Big live or cut baits. In any given body of water, small fish outnumber big fish by 10 to 1 (or even more). Using small baits usually results in the more abundant smaller fish finding your offering before the less abundant larger fish can get to it. Using BIG baits will deter the smaller fish from grabbing your offering which increases your odds of a big fish finding your bait.

Mackerel is an outstanding bait for Channels. I've caught the majority of my 20+ pound channels on mackerel. Either chunk it, or filet it into strips. Don't be afraid to use the head & part of the body. When using the head, hook it through the snout. With big mega baits, in still water conditions, don't use a sinker. The bait will weigh enough that you'll be able to cast it just fine.

Good luck to you

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For any big catfish it is always best to bait with live or possibly fresh cut bait, that is from the water you are fishing. It is my opinion that for the biggest fish, live bait is best. For the most fish, fresh cut. I don't think any commercial bait, shrimp, worms, liver, etc., out fishes live or fresh cut from the lake or river you are fishing, although it can be more convenient to use.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im like Shelby, big perch on a slip bobber or I use the Kat Bobber. Produces big channels for me.

10. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I agree with the guys that said that nothing will outproduce the baitfish right out of the lake your fishing my experience is that using fresh local bait and the bigger the better. :big_smile:

11. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Cut gill with the gut pocket attached is my Fav. for large channels

12. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My PB channel(16#) was caught with a live minnow on 2/0 hook. The only fish I caught that night, actually it was just before 6am. Where and when is more important than what's on your hook IMHO.

When my bait is being pestered by dinks, I relocate.

Have found that those little fiddlers are rarely with trophy fish when they are traveling to feeding locations from resting location, and reverse in the am. So maybe trying to expand your time on the water, both front and back end could produce different class of fish.

If you fish the feeding locations, grassy areas on the flats like Shelby recommended, then OMG large presentations will reduce the opportunities for small fish. Shelby and I caught 2lb channels up to 30lb. flathead on the same size bait last Saturday night.