Best bait for badin

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by gearhead, Sep 18, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    would bluegill heads be ok for bait , ive never used a cast net before but thinking about getting one to catch some shad.thanks

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

NC Game and Fish did an article about Badin not long ago and interviewed a couple of guides. I believe the baits of choice for the guides were shad, white perch and gills.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gearhead it all depends on the day you are fishing. ive seen them wear bream out one night and not touch it the next night. shad is the best overall bait i think. dont count out white perch,herring,or any other baits. i like to use big baits in the summer months to help keep the smaller cats away. when things start to cool off i use smaller baits. badin is loaded with shad and most of the time you can get all you want in a few cast with a cast net.

4. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeh catfishrus is right it just depends on the mood of the fich weather they want live bait or cut bait. Ive heard from others that herring are the top bait for cats and stipers, they are harder to find. I personaly have not been able to tell the difference cause I dont get to go all that much any more.

5. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    thanks guys i'll try to catch some shad ,i was thinking of getting there a little early in the afternoon and catching some bluegill/bream but i will concentrate on catching shad instead thanks for the info.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gearhead if you search around from the trussel to the dam before dark you should be able to locate bait on your depth finder. try to find bait as close to the top as possible. it will help with your catch ratios in daylight times. i wouldnt give up on bream either you just never know. the blue on profile was caught on food lion bait. like catrod said about herring also. i have seen times i would have paid 10 bucks a peice but i have also threw back a ton of them.

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    thanks catfishrus im a rookie but i've got the fever, cant stop thinking about catching some big blues, i tried tillery a couple of times but without much luck or probably skill, i heard thats not really the best lake to catfish so im going to give badin a big effort for a while.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    badin can be tuff also but you hang around the boc for the next few months and you will be catching them tillery blues. welcome to the boc also.

9. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I caught a 21 inch blue cat using a blue gill head last weekend. I don't think that they would be good for the big ones though.

10. ETEX-JIGGER

ETEX-JIGGER New Member

State:
    TYLER, TEXAS
    It all in your preference, I like using fresh shad when at the lake. But use gills at the river. I have been known to use about anything though, from hot dogs to licorice.

11. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Hey, Let me say this , if it is natural to the lake or river and you can get it, use it !!! I've caught good blue cats on bream ,white perch, crappie, etc. using them live and cut. Of course , I would rather have shad or herring most of the time if I can get it. I don't think a feeding blue cat is going to come across a fresh cut bream head and pass it up because it is not what he is looking for......:lol: I have been fishing with half the rods baited with shad and the other half with the others and caught just as many on one as the other.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gearhead, cmj is the tillery king. he can get them at tillery. go ahead jeff tell us all your hot spots...... o come on just one for the boc......lol.:big_smile: aw i just had to poke a little fun at jeff, he caught my 46lb fish last time we went.

13. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I wouldn't give up on those Tillery blues if I were you........:big_smile:

14. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    ok now you guys have me wanting to go back to tillery with some differant bait . last time i was there i fished for thirteen hours straight without a bite .i take that back i did catch one the size of your hand when i first got their with night crawlers on mountain creek. that shad in a bag i got from bass pro shop did'nt help much either.