Best areas to put in a canoe on the Neuse River

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by hardydk1, Aug 4, 2009.

1. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    My and a friend were thinking about heading downstream with the canoe this weekend and were wondering what might be the best spots to put in. I have been trying to find boat ramp listings online and the best page I have found is http://www.carolinanow.com/recsites/boatrampsnc.htm. I am not sure how complete this list is. We were thinking about heading downstream of Smithfield. Looking to catch some big flatties and some big blues. Any ramp recommendations would be helpful. Not asking for specific holes, just which ramp would get us in the best area. Thanks

2. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Go to Smithfield and put in at the neuse lumber yard on 301 just south of town. Bring a little cash for the parking fee.

3. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    We put in near Brogden, at least I think that was the nearest town and went upstream. The current was kinda strong and we were in a canoe with a trolling motor so we didn't try to go downstream of the ramp. Fished all night and caught maybe 8 cats in the 5-15 pound range. At 6am my friend caught his biggest flathead ever, a 46 pounder. I was wondering what the current is like towards kinston. We were thinking about trying to go down there in a few weeks.

Attached Files:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In my opinion you are skipping over some of the most untouched fishing waters in the entire river.
    If you have a canoe, go where the guys with the motors can't.
    You won't regret it.

If you do venture into the section you are talking about. The Neuse river mashes. Be prepared. You are talking about a virtually uninhabited hole in the county that is 5 miles wide and about 20 miles long.
    There aint no such thing as help in the mashes. You are literally on your own.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  5. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    monster flathead. congratulations!

6. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Mark J,

What area of the river are you referring to when you say we would be skipping over some good waters?
    Also, what do you mean the river mashes? Are you talking about at Kinston? We were thinking about going there as long as the current isn't really strong. What do you think would be best? Thanks in advance.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Raleigh to Smithfield is just about virgin water as far as serious catfishing goes. Little to no pressure.

If you look at the weather map on WRAL.com go to the Johnston county map.
    See that big hunk of green btween Smithfiled and Goldsboro?
    That is the Neuse river mashes.
    I can tell....You probally don't speak the mash rabbit dialect either.
    Could be a problem.

I just like the river.
    I made the front page of the old Raleigh Times back in the day along with some other comrades and two comrettes.
    We left Poole Rd. in Raleigh and did the Cape Hatteras thing.
    Washed the canoes out in the surf right in front of the Hatteras light.

To give you an idea what we were up against. The week before all those boyscouts got killed at the Goldsboro steam power plant.
    When we got to Cliffs of the Neuse. It was closed. Flooded.
    Many times we canoed through the woods to get around huge log jams.

I survived the ride.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I think the fishing waters at Smithfield and below are going to increase 10 fold since they put a pad lock and a gate behind the lumber yard.

Allot of people are not going to want to make that investement...but I will I have seen and caught some GIANTS out of that stretch of river.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Whats it gonna cost now?

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    100 bucks...go see the man and he will issue you a key...did it today...

cant share the key or he will take it away if he finds out...the key is numbered and registered to an individual...he said he may be at the ramp and check your key number with your drivers license..

just to put in perspective...a couple weeks ago the river was on the rise after a couple days rain...it was a sat evening and there was not one truck in the parking lot...

that is unheard of for that stretch of river in flathead season

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    100 for a year?

12. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC