Best area to catfish in a lake?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by miichael, Jul 13, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wheres the best area to catfish in a lake? Lake here has flats blues and channels has water as deep as 90-100 foot in the lake and has a nice river flowing into it. Would it be best to fish the lake, coves or up in the river in bends? Up in river water is average 5ft with bends as deep as 20ft.

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What time will you be fishing day or night? Has the lake developed a thermacline yet? Which specie are you going to target? and what bait will you have access to? These things are important to locate the ideal spots.

If your lake has a thermacline you need to find how deep it is and fish no deeper than it. If your fishing nights, fish tend to be easier to catch shallower, and a bit deeper during the day. Fishing for blues try open water with drop off's ledges etc. They love to hang around the channels in a lake. For flatheads you usually need alot of structure. Log, sunken items like cars/boats/rocks/whatever. Channels act similar to blues but less agressively in my opinion. As far as baits without live bait or fresh bluegill head flats will be much harder to catch. Blues will take anything with shad/perch/other natural baits being the top choices. And channels use stink bait/liver/worms/cutbait.

This is just from my experiences someone else may have some other thoughts.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Im targeting Big blues and Big flatheads. The lake im fishing in has the state record blue cat @85lbs. I will be fishing at night only with live bream, cut bream and cut shad from boat. Im thinking about fishing up in the river part of the lake in a few bends. I want to catch a bunch of 15-30 lbers. The lake is full of big catfish from 20-40lb. Here is the lake im fishing.

http://www.dukepower.com/lakes/lakefacts/norman.pdf

I was thinking about putting in at long island B in the upper and going up to that first big bend back to the left where buffalo shoals creek comes in. Also from the map on up the river where Lyle creek comes in looks like a good bend. Iv only fished this lake 2 times and have never caught a catfish in it.

Any info for this lake would be GREAT. I know some of you can look at maps and pick out a good spot.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Think structure, creek inlets, rocks, down trees, and deep holes with an excape area.

5. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I say yes the coves are where smaller fish live cats know it so its feeding time
    also check around cliffs or drop offs:0a26: