Best Angle for Bank Holders?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by pincheweddo, Apr 12, 2007.

1. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have seen rod holders that stand straight up, 45 degress, level with the water adn everywhere in between. What do you find to be the best? Should the fish be pulling against the rod or the reel more?

2. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it depends on the water you are fishing. I fish in the river near a dam which usually has a pretty strong current. I use 12' rods and usually 6 oz sinkers with cut bait. I want my rod holders to stand straight up or even leaned back a little. I need to keep as much line out of the water as possible, due to the current. If you are fishing in calm water, I don't think it matters. Good luck.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like mine at 45degs since i use baitclickers, it makes it easier for the fish to run with it.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I drive my rod holders in the ground pretty much straight in the ground.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Just depends on if you prefer to tightline or free-spool with a clicker. With free-spool ,you want the line to come off the reel straight without any tension,(level with the water), for tightline you want the tip of your rod pointed up at about 45 degrees so the fish can load the pole up and not pull the rod in the water.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Most of the time I dont need a holder because I am usually pulling in a cat about every 2 minutes or so. LOL! No, realy I usually have my pole flat in the pole holder when I am on my boat but when I am on the shore I usually sit it at the angle of the holder which is about 45-50 degrees.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Also would like to add the wind effect. If you have a windy day and a light fish bite you probably would want to keep your rod tip lower. We all have our preference but nature plays a big part also. I hope this helps.:lol: :big_smile:

8. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I keep mine about 35 degrees out back of boat in rod holder. bait click or tightened enough to give resistance when pulled. that way my circle hook catches em in the side of mouth as they pull.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    30 degrees. Who wants to look straight up in the air to watch there rods? When your sitting just couple feet away. Talk about neck strain.

10. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Like Every One Has Said, Tight Line 45 Angle, Slack Line Level, But If There Is Wind I Set My Pole Level With Water And At A 45 Angle To The Side And Rotate My Rod So That The Fish Can Load It Up As If It Was At A 45 Angle Up.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    About level with the water is how I set mine up.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Was doing about 65 degrees. I'm improving my rod holders as time goes on and looking to get them at about 35 degrees. That way when its removed from the rod holder while tight-lining I can just pull up to set the hook. That instead of having to reel down when the rod is pulled out and wasting time and not giving the Flats a chance to let go :wink:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

13. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I guess it's depends on the bank I'm fishing. I just try and find a solid spot with an angle I can see the lite bite on the rod tip. The rod angle IMHO doesn't matter as much as having a solid hold on the holder.

Wooly

14. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Couldn't've said it better myself. I did the "straight up" thing a few times and came to the same conclusion. I now have a quad chair with a small screw hook in each front arm, and I simply prop the rod up beside my chair on the hook. Right there at your finger tips, no wrestling a rod from it's holder, one less thing to carry/keep up with, and at $0.15 for supplies/35 seconds labor...Well, I haven't found a better deal yet (but I'm always lookin' :wink: )

Jon

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I want my rods standing stright up cause I ain't fishing stright down under the rod.