best and worst night ever

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 12, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well i sat at the bank for about an hour and 15 min with nothing i had a gill on one rod wit a 3/0 octopus hook and the other 3 with premo

line was stripping and i picked up the rod, closed the bail and "sorta" set the hook...with that said the ( hopefully ) flat ran and i never felt a fish pull that hard before 8-10lb easy..... for about 30 seconds it striped the line with 3lb drag ( 6lb test ) and then the rod went limp :burn_joss_stick:

i tried to reel the line in fast to keep it from snagging but it did :crazy:

pulled it in a little to high and hard and the rod busted :angry:

so after the anger wor off i left to get somemore bluegill and my net got snagged on the dock cable so trebbles and everything ripped it to shreds :sad2:

came back and was going to leave and saw the line was stripping on another rod so i picked it up and cranked a 3lb prego channel but cut the line and let her go :wink:

( feeling the fight of the 3 lber im pretty sure that flathead was about 7-8lb)

:0a36:i think i need a larger hook but i do have 4/0 baitkeepers BUT am thinking about kahles so wat size should i look at yall :0a35:

thanks for reading my vent letter :0a31:

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Wow, That sounds like a pretty rough night.. My best recommendation for you would be to ditch the 6 lb line... I know you like to fish light line, but there are some big cats in AZ. And if you ever hook up with a good one, and it sounds like you may have, you will never get it in. Especially from the bank..

* You gotta beef up your arsenal bud.. Especially if you are tying up live gills. Those flats are bruisers and they will run you right into a snag..

~ I do not use anything lighter than 40# mono, and that is only when there are not any snags around...

Good luck buddy.
    A~

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great to hear that you had some action and success. BUT, what are you doing catfishing in AZ with that test line 6-8lb?!!!!:eek:oooh: One thing here is that any cast for catfish could produce a state record. The cats down here are big and aggressive. In MY opinion if you want to keep your heart form hurting and your mouth from saying a lot of nasty things----Upgrade your line!! Minimum 25LBs!!!!! Just my advice. But always nice when you get to see the line screaming off your reels!! Nice job, and bring a camera so we all can see your success!!!!:wink:

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Hook size ---my opinion--- (live gills)-6/0-8/0!!!!!! Channels with live or cutbait---4/0-6/0!!!!!

25-80 LB test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR!:wink:

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i dont have big rods for that type of fishing

i got i big rod and thats it

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, i cant set the hook with 10lb line without breaking it!!!
    I can not even imagine using 6lb to try and hook a cat intentionally.

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    "It isnt the SIZE of the ROD, but the ability of the angler", you can get away with 20-30lb fireline, spiderwire, or any braid for that matter, on ANY reel. that stuff is around the same diameter of 8lb mono. And it is very hard to break. SO just find what you can get away with on your current rigs, but you must upgrade that line if you plan on landing some of our fish here in az.:wink:

8. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    I agree with Gethooked...... You can easily run 20/30/40lb fireline or powerpro braid on small rods. The diameter is small enough that your rod/reel wont know the difference between the braid and mono......but you get the larger weight. With the thin diameter of the braids it shouldnt effect the bite you are normally going for with the smaller channels, and when you hook up with a large cat, you definitely will have a better chance of landing it. The braid will run about $12 at walmart and is worth it. It sounds like you have enough poles to try atleast try one rig with it and decide for yourself.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i found a reel that will keep the light tackle method that i like to do

i put 14lb cajun on a baitcast penn No 160 "oldy but goody" :smile2:

and will use a 20lb leader

ill try that :wink:

but im having problems casting with the reel but ill learn

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sleekcraft, i target flatheads in river by yuma exclusively. i've used 17lb line, but now using 40lb. still get broke off. got to go to at least 25lb minimum for flats down here. there are like bulldogs and will find any snag in area.
    6lb is for gills. (not making fun of you now) but gear up some.
    gary

11. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sage advice from all these guys. Look at all the years of fishing experiance that you can add up there. Along with alot of great fish being caught, i'm sure there was alot of heart break along with it. They are trying to stop you from experiancing that heart break and put you right on big fish and landing them. I don't think 14/20 will cut it in AZ. We have some of the nastiest cover in the U.S. The rocks will eat most lines right up. When you start fishing with cutbaits and live baits you won't be able to pick and choose if it is a 1 pounder or a 100 pounder. Yes 100 pounders are out there. Don't break your heart by loosing a really big fish. I have caught more 50+ lb fish on small gills than i have big gills. Don't let the size of bait you are using fool you. If 6 lb test is snapping your pole then you are going to need a tougher pole also. Just like any of us, you are always going to want a bigger fish. Might as well rig up for huge flathead now. Think the biggest fish in the lake and doulbe up on what you need for it. Good Luck.

12. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    well im leaving the #6 test on my rods for the channels using the premo but am going to go and get a couple rods for flathead fishing :wink:

i will probably use 14 lb test at first but will bulk up to the 20-25 range in the future ( next season ):smile2: and will try that out

along with that i might get some 50 lb test for my leaders casue i only have 20

the rods that i will get are desent rods ( quality )from k mart cause i seen cat veterans here in havasu say they work fine and I trust shakespeare

im looking at fish in the 5-15 range now after yall are telling my that there are big fish in LHC ( fishing from shore )

once again i thank everyone that told me about anything wether it be catfish,bait,location,tackle,or even bass fishing :waaaht: but my heart is at catfishing....

i wint get the rods too soon cause i need a net and other tackle( morgage is due also) :sad2: but i will be back in the same spot that i got spooled at and hook that BIG Bugger and have a niece dinner :big_smile:

:0a21:

i have 4/0 baitkeeper hooks but what is a good hook for flats????? noone answered me but id rather listen to you guys than anyone else

By yall :0a31:

13. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    your 4/0 baitkeeper isnt a bad flathead hook, but "I" perfer a Gamugatsu Octopus hook, if not that a Kahle hook, both in size 5/0-8/0. You can get away with smaller hooks, but again the fish here are big and you want to prepare for the best and biggest. I still would suggest that you go with braided line. The diameter is exactly what you are using with the small mono (6-8lb), but you will get strength up to 30lb. If you PM your address, I have TONS of fishing stuff I can send you that will help your fishing out. My trophy/fishing room looks like a crash between Bass Pro and Cablea's, I am willing to help ya out to get ya and keep ya on fish!:wink:

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    3280 thundercloud dr. Lake havsu city Az. 86406

that would be great if u could send me anything

if its not to much trouble

15. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Matt can you go ahead and ship me Cleatis? I'll take good care of it i swear. :big_smile:

16. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    WELL, CHUM-DADDY----now that maybe JUST A LITTLE TOO much right now, even though I cant do much with her. i done think I would be able to sleep without her parked nicley in the garage. I am willing though to go out with ya and let ya drive her, and maybe rub her down a little!:eek:oooh:

To my havasu man, I shall put together a little care package for my fellow CATFISH1 man, and get it out to ya later this week, I shall shop thru my aisle and see what I have I can live without, and shall send it your way!!:wink:

Whatever may come I hope it helps you in your quest for the big one. And if it does I EXPECT pics to be posted (with an astrik * by them) *this ones for "GETHOOKED!!!!!:wink:

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    braided line bause the cheaper guides to gash in them

guides get slots cut in them

im looking at he cajun braided

18. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Cool!!!! Thanks. I'll be sure to bring a bib so i don't dreul on her too much. :smile2:

19. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    i ve never had a single guide mess up or get ruined by braid, so I am not sure about the truth about that.

20. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    we do need to make a date to go and wet some lines, I am free this and next weekend. Next week is my birthday, so I have leway vs the wife for a trip, let me know if ya can get off during the week at all.