Best and Cheapest Catfishing Rod and Best Length

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by codey72, Jun 21, 2007.

1. codey72

codey72 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a rod that I really don't like at all and I'm trying to find a good, affordible rod and I need some help b/c I'm the only one in my family that regularly catfish. I usually go with my Grandpa.

2. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    A 6 foot med/heavy ugly stick we do you just fine. They are the best rod at a reasonable price.

3. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    you can get a cabelas KIng Kat rod w/free hat delivered for <$25

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Daiwa Beefstick!$24.99 at Bass Pro for all models.It is fiberglass which is very strong and hard to damage.It has stainless steel hooded reel seats and plenty of guides.(My 7 ft conventional has 8 guides,my 8 ft.spinning has 5).They come in a wide range for most any reels.I don;t think that you can beat it for the money.I am 62.I bought one Ugly stick in my life.It broke at a defect that was readily visible soon after I bought it.Ugly stick refused to honer their warranty.I will never buy from a company that has cheated and lied to me,nor will I recommend them to others.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. codey72

codey72 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That happened to my grandpa so that's why I'm weary of buying one. Do they have that in 7' spinning?

6. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have 4 ugly sticks and only had one to break, but i took it to wally world and they gave me another one. but you will just have to get one you like there's a lot out there!!!

7. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if you looking for a cheap setup but able 2 hold a decent cat my brother bought a boss hawg zebco combo from wally mart and so far its great. only cost like 25 bucks also.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A $27 dollar Shakespeare Ugly Stick Catfish Rod from Wal-Mart.

9. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have just bought a beefstick, seven foot one peice spinning boat rod. Six eyelets and a big long handle to hold on to.
    It is fairly heavy, but I have caught my biggest fish so far on it, the first night I fished with it.
    I also have a Zebco 808 combo, side by side the beefstick looks like the tough guy out of the two.
    I have not really any experiance catfishing (that will come) but I really like the rod, although it is sort of heavy, I use rod holders!
    I also was in BPS today and the guy in front of me at the check out spent almost $500 on one rod and two reels, I cant afford that type of equipment, so its all a matter of perspective, some may say cheap junk for a $25 rod but I get loads of enjoyment out of it.

Beefstick, looks like it will do a fine job. I went with it because of the postings by Peewee Williams.

10. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    To start, what exactly do you not like about your current rod?
    What type of reel are you using and what type of catfishing are you doing???
    like baitcaster with a clicker, spincaster, spining???
    If you still fish with a clicker the rod is not very relivant other than it be long for ease of casting for the size of bait and catfish you are after. If you do not use a clicker but hold your rod all day, you would want a lighter weight and possibly more sensative rod. If you still fish but do not hold your rod you want a lighter action rod but the weight is irrelivant.
    Lighter weight rods are normall very expensive.
    Inexpensive Heavy duty rods(uglystick) are normall heavy in weight.
    In any case id recomend you start with a 7' rod.
    Personally I prefer stiffer rods, light in weight, but I normall use a clicker and use really heavy duty rods 8' that I can throw a 6 bluegill easily with.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Glass rods are known for their strength,durability,weight and low cost.The new fibers that they use in lightweight rods were developed mainly for casting a lot for long periods.As a industrial mechanic all of my life I had no need for such.Now that my strength is that of a very small child,it would.It was and is a Godsend for folks who are not used to such activity for long periods.Both have their places just as light thoroughbreds and draft horses have their place.My all time old favorite casting rod was a short spring steel rod with a Zebco 808 on it.It worked like a champ and lasted for years before it rusted out.I have never found another.My Beefstick 7 foot casting 15-50 lb.rated balances nicely with the Penn 345 GTI.The Beefstick 8 foot spinning 12-30 lb.rated balances nicely with my Okuma Coronado CD 90s.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee