Best all purpose size hook ?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyron4, Mar 19, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been useing a Eagle Claw "J" style 2/0 bait holder hook as my catfish hook for years . I have caught cats from 10" to 36" on this hook. I'm going more after bigger cats( 10-30 lbs.) now and plan to move up to a 3/0 hook. Will this be to big for channels in the 18"-24" range ? Is the bigger the hook the better in catfishing ? -Thanks

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Hey Mike,
    I mostly target channel catfish and use mainly a 5/0 Daiichi circle hook. If I feel the need I will drop dowm to a 3/0 or 2/0 hook. One important thing to remember is your hook has to be big enough for the size of bait you choose to use.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike depending on the size of bait you use I would move up to a 5/0 kahle. I personally use 7/0-10/0 Kahle. I like to set the hook. If you want to let the rod load up and just start reeling then you might want to consider a 6/0-8/0 Circle.Good Luck on your choices.:wink:

4. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree with mickey you shouldnt be disapointed

FEELS LIKE A DECENT ONE

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thats like asking if pepsi is better then coke. But hey man I would stick with like a 5/0 or 6/0 lots of good hook styles to pick from.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I caught a 3lb blue two weeks ago on a 10/0 gama, so to answer your question, no they aren't too big.