Best All Around Live Bait Hook!!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Marshall, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    I was wondering what type of hook and hook size does everyone use to Fish Live bait, such as shad, gills, etc. I am almost positive my hooks should be bigger. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    You'll get a variety of answers.. Some love the circle hooks, others hate them. ...

I use the Kahles, 5/0 - 7/0 ... with 7/0 probably used the most.

3. byron9393

byron9393 New Member

State:
    texas
    I think that the kind of hook you use is a personal thing. But whatever kind it is make sure that you have lots of point showing. I like the wide gap gomagatsu hooks. They are really made for the bass fisherman but seem to hold up real well for me. The gap is wide enuff to allow the bait plenty of room to be swallowed and still have a lot of exposed point for that hook up. Just my opion. As you guys can tell I cant spell.

4. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    It's hard to beat Kahle hooks for keeping the bait alive. I'm just starting to get turned onto Circle Hooks, though.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like the Gamulatsu Octupus J-style hooks in the 8-10/0 range for my livebaits. I used to run Kahles, but had a problem with them hooking back into the bait quite often, so I quit using them... rollo

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    hooks i use are kayle and eagle claw octopus circle.the size of my bait tells me what size i use.always use a hook big enough that you want have a problem with the hook getting back into the bait but ,if you using live bait,you dont want a hook so big that it impedes the baits movement.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Depending on the fish I am targeting and their aggression, I use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circles with an offset or a 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus J hook.

If you have trouble with the hook turning back into the bait, then you may be hooking the bait too far in. Coutesy of the James River Boys, I found that just sticking it in a corner does the trick. Just make sure that the corner you choose is the strongest corner and the bait will not pull free.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i know alot of you out there dont like trebles but i caught 2 flatheads while freelining for striper..... i had a # 2 treble hooks above the anal fin and it hooked them pretty well.....

i like to use smaller gills so i use a 4/0 j for most of my catfishing.... #2 trebles for eaters( flats and channels ) and 3/0 octopos hooks for cut shad....5/0 - 7/0 kahle hooks for using big cut baits like carp

im a light tackle guy so my methods are a little bit different

9. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    if im fishing a small brim or perch i like to use a Gamakatsu 5/0 Octopus if im fishing somthing bigger i use a 8/0 Octopus circles

10. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    the best all around live bait is small crappie but have to be cought on a rod an then still may not be able to use them check your states regs to make sure 5/0 usually when im fishing freshwater circles or j's i use both when fishing for reds an sharks 20/0 circles an a 12 inch live mullet lol

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I love the 8/0-9/0 Octopus hooks from Gamakatsu. Those are some awesome hooks and if used right you will gut hook less fish than you will with circles, promise.

12. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Depending on the size of my bait, I use 5/0 and 8/0 Team Catfish Double Action circles. Very sharp and work like a charm.

13. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Loanwizard,

The original post was asking about hooking LIVE BAIT-FISH......

It sounds like your "corner-hooking" advice is for dead, cut-bait...right? :embarassed:

Great advice for cut-bait rigging, for sure!

But I've never been able to find a "good corner" on a live bluegill or bullhead..... :wink:

14. shane hershey

shane hershey New Member

State:
    pa
    i also use 7\0 kahles (thanks to joe ) and also have had problems with hooking back into the bait.also noticed the hook was deeper into the fish than it needed to be.

15. fullstringer

fullstringer Member

State:
    Indiana
    My flatheads always eat King Kahles for dinner. 7/0 Usually

16. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like to use any where from a 8/0 to a 10/0 Kahle since I don't usually fish for channels.If I do fish for channels I use a 4/0 Kahle. Allen

17. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    For flatheads i always use a 7/0 or 8/0 gamagatsu octupus circle hook but for channels i use a 4/0 lazert sharp circle hook

18. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    7/0 or 8/0 gamakatsu octopus for me. Nice hook up right in the corner of the mouth everytime

19. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Depending on the size of the bait I use 3/0-7/0 Kahle or 6/0-8/0 Gamagatsu Octopus hooks

20. Katman84

Katman84 New Member

State:
    Wv
    I use Gamagutsu Octupus hooks from 5/0 to 10/0 and the newest ones to the team are the Gamagutsu Live Bait Hooks in 7/0 so far I havent been disappionted right in the corner of the mouth with a clean pass threw out the other side.