Best 9MM round for Deer

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Bigbluefisherman, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What bullet do you all recommend to shoot out of a 9MM for deer? I bought a new 9MM and wanted to try and shoot a doe with it at close range this firearm season. I have tryed to find soft points, but haven't found any luck around here.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I may catch some flak for this but a 9MM is too small to hunt deer with. Let me clarify...it doesn't have enough energy to kill a deer cleanly. You may luck out and kill one but you will more likely end up wounding it and having it run off to die later. If you want to take up handgun hunting get one that will do the job with enough energy to drop the deer. Keep the 9MM for what it was designed to do...self protection.

Good luck.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Check with your wildlife dept. A 9MM may not be legal to hunt with. It is not legal in Okla.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
  5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    IF I was going to use that caliber, Like you mentioned, at Close range,,

I'd try and place the bullet like I would using an arrow,,

Using a heavier hollow point or softpoint, I think It will do fine,
    It's not the best choice, but, if used carefully. I think will kill the doe..IT's all shot placement..

6. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky

Very true as well. Some states have a minimum case length for handgun ammo to be legal for hunting. In Ky we can use ANY caliber of centerfire rifle or handgun.

7. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    NC you have to use 357 mag or larger with a least 5" or longer barrel. I would check state laws before hunting with it.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    like stated above check your regs, a self defense handgun is not a hunting weapon. there is a big difference in what they are designed for. a self defense gun is designed with its primary function at mind, a quick, close combat situation. most of the time that situation is between 6 and 10 feet. so the accuracy of the gun out at a distance is an issue, and could result in a poor result. in saying that, i have a carbine rifle that shoots 9mm rounds and i have killed one doe cleanly with it, but was unimpressed with the damage the bullet caused and will not be hunting with it again. had i hit bone, i may have just wounded the animal and i am not a fan of that.

one more thing i have to mention, mostly because i started a thread about ethics in the bow hunting section, is that you should not take head shots. that is a very bad suggestion, im sorry, but more people can NOT make a shot like that then can. with the curvature of the skull and other variables, the bullet can deflect and cause injury but not death do the deer or a slow death to the deer with out actual recovery of the deer. it is Very POOR ethics to take head shots at deer, and i would have to strongly suggest you not take that advice.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    i would have to agree with you on that. Seen too many deer running around dying a slow painful death because somebody blew their bottom jaw off.

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt,back in the 80's or at least early 90's Bohannan told me it was illegal to deer hunt with 9mm hand guns in Missouri, so unless that regulation had been changed it could land you in hot water. Just to be on the safe side, I'd check with conservation and CYOA. Stay safe and hope you get a big one!!!:wink:

11. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri
    From what I read it is legal. Here is the line right of the firearm deer section on the MDC website (centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets). Thanks for everyones input. I have been deer hunting for several years and have harvested several deer with a gun and bow. I do know what an ethical shot is! I was just curious for those who have used a 9mm what type of bullet you have used. If your shot placement is in the right location there will be no issue killing a deer with a 9mm handgun. It goes the same with any caliber aswell. I don't care if you are shooting a 300 win mag, if you hit a deer in the guts, yes it will die eventually, but your chances of a quick ethical kill is out the window, and your chances of finding the animal is alot less. Thanks again for everyones input!

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    .40 caliber or larger only in Missouri.

13. Bigbluefisherman

State:
    Missouri

Just curious, where did you find that? I couldn't find anything that specified a particular caliber.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I think I'd do it with a 9mm carbine,no problem. I would find a bullet that opened well and cut a swath like the golden sabres by remington or the talon ammo,have not bought any 9mm in years so I don't really know what available.
    Here in Nebraska there in a restriction that says your firearm must have a certain amount of foot pounds of energy at 100 yards to be legally used for deer hunting.
    I know for a fact that a .44 mag will drop a big buck at 75 yards, when shot in the back base of the skull while at a dead run away from you through thick brush,it was pure luck,and a shot I shouldn't have taken to begin with,even if it ended well.severed the spine right at the base of the skull,did about four flips before piling up.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I stand corrected. That is black poeder. A 9mm can be used as well as any center fire cartridge. Here is the catch. No more rounds than 11rounds total in the gun. You would have to have to have a 10 or 11 round Mag. Just talked to the warden. No bigger mags with just 11 rounds in it.

16. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :embarassed:I did that once still make me sick after 34 years:embarassed:

17. kyelkhunter3006

State:
    Ky
    If you REALLY want to know if your loads are going to work on deer, do this:

Go the store and buy a big rack of beef ribs (hopefully some that are almost out of date, to save money). Set it up with an old blanket, old deer skin, something to simulate hair/skin. Take one shot with each load you're thinking of using, simulating broad side shots on deer ribs, at the maximum distance you're comfortable shooting.

Use the load that causes the most damage/penetration. If the load will penetrate/break beef ribs, then the deer won't be a problem.

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree. It's too light for deer.

19. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    A 145 grain 9mm bullet at 1052fps ONLY has 356 ft lbs of energy.
    A 38 special with a 195 grain at 890 fps is at 342 ft lbs.
    A 38 Spec +P with a 173 grain at 900 fps is 311 ft lbs.
    The reason I used the 38 is no one thinks of using it as a deer round but it is a better choice because of the bullets weight and the energy levels are close to the same.
    A look at the Magnum class, that many think of when thinking of a hunting pistol, and there is a HUGE difference.
    357 Mag with 158 grain at 1600fps is 898 ft lbs of energy.
    357 Mag with a 125 grain bullet at 1700 is 801 ft lbs and no one would use that light of a bullet on a deer BUT it would do better than the 9mm with well over 2 times the energy.
    To put it into better perspective take your 9mm and put it into a rifle with an 18 inch barrel and that 145 gr bullet hits about 1170fps and has 440 ft lbs of energy and as several have said that is very marginal on deer.
    One more to show the difference a 17 Remington. This cartridge is in NO WAY meant for ANYTHING but small varmints and small game hunting has almost 1000 ft lbs of energy with a 25 grain bullet and NO ONE would use it for deer. (FYI a 22 magnum has about 320 ft lbs but has a linger bullet for better penetration.)
    The 9mm has NO bullets designed for hunting applications. I have several friends that use them on small hogs and with a GOOD shot there is not enough damage and there is tracking involved which they use dogs for. These hogs are ALWAYS under 100lbs and this is hand loaded ammo that cannot be bought.
    The problem lies not so much in the velocity but the bullet it is pushing. With a 9mm diameter the bullets Ballistic Coefficient is around a .110. This tells you how well a bullet is going to keep its speed up during travel and during impact into a game animal. The higher the BC the more penetration you will get. Hunting bullets for the 38 special and a 357 are up around a .180. The next consideration is the way the bullet is made. There are no 9mm bullets made with a jacket for hunting. They will expand VERY early and not do enough damage. This will in most cases stop a human but not a larger animal. Look at the one shot stop numbers of a 9mm compared to other rounds. This is why many police forces are getting away from the 9mm and going to the 357 sig and 40 S&W, the 9mm just is not that good at even stopping a human. This also can be seen when the military switched from a 45 to a 38 special and then back to the 45 after they got many men killed after the 38 failed to stop someone. In The current war there are MANY MANY 45 acp's on the hips of soldiers that have seen the results of a 9mm not stopping the person coming at them.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    "In The current war there are MANY MANY 45 acp's on the hips of soldiers that have seen the results of a 9mm not stopping the person coming at them."

The .45 was developed because the .38 wasn't stopping enemy charging the trenches. The idiot that just shot up Fort Hood got shot 4 times with a 9MM and he is still alive. A guy I used to work with got shot in the back 5 times with a 9MM and lived to tell me the story. That's why I carry a .45 or a .357.