Best $50 and Less Catfish Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Zero, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm after a pair of rods for my 2 6500s, so it'll have to be casting.

Will be a channel cat setup as well as light saltwater duty...need to be able to throw 3 oz pyramids for the salt and 1-2 oz for the channel cats.

7.5-8.5 foot is right for me, 2 piece, 1-3 oz, with a sensitive fast tip. What should I look into? The Ugly Stik Catifish series?

I don't want a thick tipped medium heavy...needs to be fairly light tipped for the bite detection for the saltwater part...

Let's hear it. Want to keep it budget, under 50 a piece.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You might to try the Ugly Stick Striper rods, they are ML 7'4'' rods.

3. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just bought 2 American Spirit rods from Catfish Connection,and they seem to fit your description exactly!
    2 shipped was a little less than $60,and trust me..Before I bought them,I did TONS of research..

Model ONG-828AB

Comes in blue,red,and yellow... MH action but tip seems to be sensative enough for feeling all the bites..Just a perfect rod for a budget fisherman!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  4. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Have you checked out Cabellas Whuppin Sticks, they have 7', 8', & 9' in a MH. I got 2 of em at thier Post Falls ID store for less than $65 w/tax, I have been able to get 5oz on my 9' poles & before I seem to max out the load up for max distance. They seem to be stiff enough & yet sensative enough to pick up most bites. Course I have only had them since Dec & have not used them as much as I would like, But i did hook a HUGE Sturgeon a few weeks ago & the rod held up great....me & the reel did not...had to break it off before it peeled off all my line.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll second the American Spirit Nite Stick Pros in the 7'6" length in medium heavy. Light weight graphite construction, sensitive tip, and PLENTY of backbone. The only criteria it doesn't meet on your list is that it is a one piece rod, which I prefer 100% over two piece rods. These rods pair up well with the 6500 series reels, and they are excellent for drifting or anchoring.

Bill in SC

6. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    I have 4 of the American Spirit Nite Sticks. They are 8' m/h rods but have a very sensitive tip. I got the yellow ones from Catfish Connection for 21.95 each. I don't remember the shipping but is was very reasonable. They are 2 piece rods. The nite stick pro is a notch or two better and a really good looking rod too at 36.95!! C.C. says the both the N.S. and the N.S.P. are two piece rods. I really don't think you can find a better rod for the price then these!!!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. Check them rods out.

8. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds like the American Spirit is the way to go, thanks gentlemen. Are the guides pretty good quality?

9. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is a pic for ya..You can decide..I did not buy the pro's though..Just the nite stik..It was exactly $58.85
    shipped for these..And got them in literally 2 days!

Attached Files:

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    YES the guides are VERY heavy duty with 9 eyes plus the tip on the 7'6" rod, which is ONE piece.

Bill in SC

11. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I got the american spirit nite stik pro and they feel good and look real strong I hadn't had a chance in useing them yet but I think I'm not going to have a problem and I think they work good for what you want

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I was gonna say ugly cat rods..And maybe a cabelas wuppin stick 8ft heavy...There $30

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have a couple of the nite sticks and those are my favorite setups, eyelets are stainless, very well built and at a great price

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have 3 of the regular Nite sticks in 8ft MH, great rods for under $30 and 2 piece, I also recommend 8ft Berkley Glowsticks in MH, they are $32 each, 2 piece and they make 7ft-12ft

15. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    That's what I'm looking at, the 8ft MH casting, a quick question; are they light enough to see a 1.5 lb channel bite and get decent bend in the rod? Or will I want to be soaking a chunk of cutbait for the bigger fish?

I'm after a dipbait/shrimp/liver ect rod for eater channels.

Anyone?

16. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    OK, I am going to throw an "odd ball" out there.
    For a $50 and under rod, I prefer the Pro Angler Catfish Rod.
    It is made for a catfish guide here in Texas. They sell for $30-$36 depending on number ordered. They are 100% tough. I actually do not like a tip that is too soft, but these make up for it with more than enough back bone. I am waiting on my order to be delivered, I tested these out at the last tournament, I will have nothing but these rods and my 2 Catfish Safari rods on my boat. These rods are something else......

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You can get a Shakespeare UglyCat rod for about $35.

18. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I own an Ugly stik catfish rod. 8' MH real sensitve. I love it and think it could handle a fish up to 30lbs. the biggest fish I have caught on it was 11lb carp. I fish this rod right beside my 12' H bigwater ugly's. One day I'll know if it can handle a larger fish.

19. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    U cant go wrong with those ulgies. Between my 2 partners and me, we have I think 11 ulgy cat rods. We do use other rods for certain things but for what you are doing u cant beat the action and sensitivety of that ugly. I have tried american spirit, catfish safari,etc. I dont want to talk bad about other companies rods but uglies just work. I use them for drifting and anchoring in lakes and small rivers. Like I said I use others but for specific reasons. PLus there only $30 and they will last.

20. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    By the way my buddies ugly stood up to a 66 pound blue in an hour and a half long fight. Seriously I have never seen a fight like this. The line was the only thing I was worried about. I think we could have caught and 80 or 100 pound fish. This was in a lake though. But the rod didnt have a problem. My fifty took a couple minutes and it was only an ugly cat.