best 38 spl self defense round

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by scooter079, Jan 11, 2010.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey guys just bought a new smith 637 and i was wondering what what is a good round to keep in it when im out of town for my wife and also a good round for me to take out of town to down town cleveland

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    If you need to fire, 1 bullit just isn't enough.
    That would piss the target off, and make you the target.
    Empty gun at target, reload and empty again.
    Doesn't matter if it some of my lite loads or heavy loads.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it seems to be getting harder to find a crappy self defense round. i like winchester stx, speer gold dot, remington golden sabre, and federal hydrashok. in all of my pistols lately i have been using the remington 100 rd box hp's that wallyworld sells. can't say i have shot any people, but hogs drop pretty quick with them. closest thing to .38 i have used was .357 mag. i will second what canebreaker said about multiple rounds in the target. if you aren't shooting, you should be reloading, and if you aren't reloading, you should be hauling a$$.

4. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    back in the 80's smith and wesson i think it was had a 38 +p if i remember right a factory round did a good job but not sure if they still make that,,i long ago moved to a 9mm, if you reload you can hop up the load somewhat

5. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scooter, I have the 638 (shrouded hammer) and keep it loaded with +p, so yep, they still make em. It's my warm weather carry as I can slip it in a coat or pants pocket...and get it out quickly without the hammer snagging.
    Any well known revolver; i.e., S&W, Colt, etc. will handle the +p, which is just a hotter load than standard round.
    But be sure your wife has shot this handgun, a lot...the more shooting she does, the more familiar she becomes with it. The load in the gun however is much less important than bullet placement. A low powered 148 grain wadcutter in the 10 ring is better than 5 magnum misses. However, there could be a deterrent factor in the muzzle blast of a short barrelled 357 magnum cause my ears ring fer two days with my 6" 686.
    Haven't tracked the bullets available for years so there may be something better on the market today.

LEOs carried 38 sp for decades and went to the 40 S&W for round capacity only because the gang bangers were out gunning them.
    I think you're wife will be pleased and hopefully give her a sense of security.

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have my wife's Lady Smith 38 SPL loaded as this..... first 3 rounds are Glaser Silver Safety Slug +P round nose 80 grain 1700 fps, the other 2 rounds are Cor Bon +P+ 125 GR JHP 1125 fps.

For target she shoots my hand loaded & cast wadcutters.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    the best bullet to use is the one thats in your gun when the shooting starts lol

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Scooter, cops still carry snubs. NYC cops are using Gold Dot 135gr + P loads for their people now as the issue round. Street proven. Designed for the snub gun, won't pull the bullet loose under recoil even in the lightest scandium or titanium units.
    Just read an article by Massad Ayoob, street cop writer for Guns Magazine, entitled, "Dynamic Ammo", this months issue, (March).
    I feel well armed with a snub in the city.....get tired of carrying big guns sometimes.

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The best round to use is the one that your wife can shoot well. Whether it's a lead cast SWC or an out of the box hollow point or FMJ, if she shoots it and hits where she is aiming she will be far better off than having a specific protection round that she just sprays out because the recoil or noise is to much for her. My wife can put 10 lead SWC 40 caliber rounds in an 8 inch circle at 10 yds about as fast as she can pull a trigger. I do not think that anyone coming into the house would not change their mind with that amount of lead flying at them.

10. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The best round on the market is the Winchester Ranger T series but I don't think they make them in 38 Special. I would go with the Gold Dot 125 grain hollow point. This is the hottest ammo you will find for the 38 Special, and at a decent price. They load the Gold Dot bullets but call them "bonded defense" bullets. Awesome company and very reasonable pricing, read the reviews on the ammo. http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_57&products_id=215

11. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nothing can replace shot placement, and practice makes perfect.:cowboy:

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    may i suggest magsafe ammo? its expensive but since when do you put a price tag on you or your wife's safety?

olefin likes this.
  13. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i would recommend u gettin a S&W judge it can shoot a 45 or a 410shot shell after u let the judge bark for some reason people scatter lol

14. 51colt

51colt New Member

State:
    CA
    If you reload or know someone that reloads load some hollow base wad cutters backwards with some RedDot behind it. You can load them mild and these home made hollow points expand like crazy. Thay make a good close range selfedefence round.
    Mike

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Did you see my post?
    Glaser Silver Safety Slug +P

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, fool me. And here I thought the US military did away with the .38 and went to the .45 cause the .38 didn't have the stopping power. But, a .38 is better than a .22. All will kill you just as dead, but some take longer to do it.

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont own a 38 for CC but my .45s down to my 9s and .380s all have had or have a clip full of the Hydro Shocks by federal. we did some testing with them and they expanded well over double in comparison to any of the regular JHP or FMJ/Corelock types we had. they claimed at one point that they dissipate most of their energy with in 8 inches of contact with a human chest.

i believe it after our tests. they are nasty. remember, if a bullet comes out, it has wasted energy. the object is to make the body absorb all the energy of the bullet you can. in a perfect round, it would jelly all the organs and never come out.

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    You said .38. Did you mean .38 SPL? Guess you knew there is a quite a bunch difference in the two.

I wouldn't compare a .38 SPL to a .22.
    The 38 SPL was standard issue for police for many years until the .357 magnum. Nowdays it's the .40 Glock model 22.

True the .45 is more powerful but I'm sure my wife couldn't work the action on a .45 auto, much less carry one in her purse. She doesn't have the strength to load my Glock 26 9 MM. But she has no problem pulling the trigger on her S&W .38 SPL.

20. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i believe it after our tests. they are nasty. remember, if a bullet comes out, it has wasted energy. the object is to make the body absorb all the energy of the bullet you can. in a perfect round, it would jelly all the organs and never come out.[/QUOTE]

The bullet that comes out the back is free to roam around maybe into a different room.
    Wheel guns are a good choice for people (wifes and daughters) who don't spend much time learning to use the buttons, levers and clips of a self loader. Wheelguns are point and pull.

Every one is right about the need for shot placement so, Please get as much practice as possable. Make it fun for them. Start with a 22 wheelgun if possable and work up. I have four girls and my young bride (Of 43 years) they started that way. When moma moved up from the 22 to the S&W model 10 and light loads she said, "I like this". Guess what is under her side of the bed?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    BubbaCat likes this.