best 30-06

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by scooter079, Sep 24, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What is the best 30-06 ammo and grain for deer

2. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    MFG is going to be gun dependant. Some REALLY like some brands and don't like others. As for grain, the 165 grain is good for all but REALLY long shots where the added weight of a larger bullet help down range. Overall the 180 is a good compromise for mixed areas. I shoot 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2700fps out to 150-175 yds in my hand loads and have not had one deer complain!!! If I am Hunting out to 250-300 yds I use the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic tip loaded to around 2500fps.

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I don't know if it is the best or not but it works for me. I bought my Ruger
    30/06 new in 1978 and have killed well over 100 deer with it in the past 30
    years. I use Remington 180 psp bullets and have never had reason to change bullets. Where I hunt 250 yd. shots are about the max with most
    shots alot closer. If I were hunting in more open country I would probaly
    go to a 150 grain.

4. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I use Federal Premium Vital shocks loaded with 165 grain Barnes TSX in my model 700 BDL 30-06. Those performed the best in that particalar rifle. I have taken several deer, hogs, and coyotes with that combo out to 250-275 yards that were DRT.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man, you're going to get a different answer every time. you need to shoot several different brands out of your rifle and let it decide. guns are like people- they have their favorite foods. my weatherby vanguard likes 165 grain win pointed softpoints and 165 grain sierra pro hunters. we have some big deer in the panhandle, and i have killed deer with my rifle to 400 yards.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a Ruger M77 and it likes 180 grain bullets. It will shoot 3/4 inch groups all day long.

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    All depends on the gun. My oldest 30/06 ( 1975 Ruger 77 ) will not group boattailed bullets or hot loads, but load it up with 150 gr Remington Cor-Loks and it will shoot under a 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. I have another 30/06 ( 1994 model Ruger 77) that likes max loads best, and will shoot just about any bullet very well. You've just got'a try different brands and weights until you find what your gun likes.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I shoot a remington 700 and most of my shots are under 150 yards. I load up with 150 gr. core-lok.

9. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i used to like 165 grain remington core lok , but now here in the great state of CA we must use lead free ammo:crazy:

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I've been using Hornady Light Mag 165gr BTSP with interlock, Remington Premier Ultra Core Lok(Bonded) 168gr and Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 180gr

Now I'm looking for something to shoot in my .308 Win.

11. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No one can answer the question here, only your rifle can. Try as many different brands and bullet weights as you can afford and see which one it likes the best. Anything 150 grains or higher is more than adequate for deer. If it's the Barnes solid copper bullet, then the 125 and 130 grainers will penetrate like the 150 grain conventional bullets and shoot at a higher velocity and flatter. Just give some a try and listen to what the rifle has to say.

12. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have used winchester super-x in 165 grain. Out of the 10 plus deer all but two never took another step , and those of all things were does. All shots varied from 100 out to 308 on the range finder. 3" high at 100 yards and hittin bulls at 200 !! Tried many diff. weights and brands never been happier.

13. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I shoot a savage in a 30-06, always have. have tried diff. brands , but the one i really like is winchester super-x in 165 grain. shot 5 shots today at 100 yards just inside a quarter. Not to mention deer hate em . dont usually take another step! Last 12 deer 2 ran around 20 to 50 yards and were both does.

14. doug300wsm

doug300wsm New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have never used anything but 150 grain bullets in my .30-06 and I do the same with my .300WSM as I have found that this bullet is plenty for any whitetail I may come across. The big bullets are made for larger game.