best 150 hp motor??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by BLKCLOUD, Oct 25, 2005.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    i've been eyeing a few boats here lately id like to get one in the year range of 2000-2004..what is the best motor in your oninion?? 2-4 stroke?? merc? johnson? yamaha???thanks!!

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Thats a loaded question, this is going to be a huge thread. I have a 2005 75hp merc 4 stroke and love it. Good luck

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jaync is correct, each person has their own opinion, ask a ford driver, he will usually say the best truck he ever had. same thing with boat motors. I have a Johnson and I think it has been a good one. :D

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I have a 2 stroke 50hp merc. The nice thing about owning a name brand motor like a merc or a yamaha, is every town has a dealer for one. Want my opinion though get a 4 banger. The fuel mileage is better.

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i have owned many brands of motors,in my oponion,IT IS HARD TO BEAT
    A MERCURY....
    KIRK :D

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    we bought a brand new 65hp evinrude in 1973..it stayed in the shop more that it stayed on the water..in 1988 i bought a used 200hp johnson gt..only left me in the water once..but cost over 6k to get it repaired..

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    its like chevys and fords everyone has thier likes. me i wont own anything but a merc. and id invest in the 4 stroke cleaner running lower running costs quieter and i am sure in time all the states will follow suit behind cali and no new outboards will be sold that are 2 strokes and we have lost a lot of waterways for 2 strokes. just my 2.375%

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha 150 HPDI? A friend has one on a 20' bay boat, and he loves it. Fuel economy is noticeably better than my 90 Yammie/17' Key West, and it will approach speeds in the 50+ mph range (per speedometer reading).

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, the 150 HPDI (High Performance Direct Injected) Is a fine reliable engine.

Sounds like junk on a water hose. It needs the back pressure of being immersed in water to run right.

It's one of Yamaha's best

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i have a 115 mercury optimax 2 strock better mi an more speed les emis than 4 strocks

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    BOBPAUL that is why I love you so much!!! You will throw something out there that answers questions I've had for years,Never thought about the backpressure aspect.Most outboards sound like junk on the hose so much so that the first time I did it I quit because I thought my little 50hp Mariner was falling apart.Went and got me a big plastic garbage can ,filled it with water, lowered the engine into it and it worked just fine.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks Jim, but you guys have really never heard anything run so poorly on a hose than an HPDI Yammi.

Eratic rpm's, Tach jumps all over, and don't try to excellorate it to get it to smooth out, but they're fine reliable engines.

13. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Just want to know if anyone out there has expereince with the Evinrude E-Tec. I have been to the website and it looks like an innovative technology. I like the idea of a self-winterizing motor.

Tom

14. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    I prefer yamaha's.Long lasting and always starts on the first try.