Best 10ft or above bank pole

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 18, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was wondering if ugly stick big water are good bank poles or maybe cat maxx also i dont know what action is best too

2. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    ugly stick would be a good choice.

3. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whatever rod you choose, you need to be aware of just how much room your gonna have on the bank. It takes ALOT of room to swing a ten foot rod. If all of your fishing spots have the room you need, then by all means go for it. But if you like to be adventurous and find new spots, then you may consider a slightly shorter rod for walking through the woods, crossing creeks, etc.
    Just my two cents. Good luck with your new rig!

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used a 10ft big water ugly stick for the last 3 years for bank fishing . It has has been a vary good rod .

5. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    All of my catfishing rods are Ugly Stiks, so when I decided I needed a 10' rod for some long casts, naturally I bought a Ugly Bigwater 10' with a heavy action. It's rated from 2oz. to 12oz., if I recall correctly. I have a difficult time throwing it very far, its stiff as a brick. I went to the local Academy sports store and found some American Rodsmith rods in 10'. Bought one, and let me tell you, there's a world of difference. The Am. Rod has some bend to it and it will LAUNCH a sinker! I found a 12' Am. Rod there today, and I can't wait to try it tommorow.

I also have a 10' Tica brand surf rod that will throw a mile. Again, it has a little give in the action that really lets me zing it out there.

My advice would be to search the surf fishing sites. Some have specific distance throwing forums. They talk a lot about rods and all related gear. Tica, Tsunami, Ocean Master, American Rodsmith and Diawa all make afordable rods in the 10'-12' range. There are also some higher end rods that may suit you better. Good luck in your quest, I know I'm still buying rods, looking for the perfect stick. Doug

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Meat Hunter rods are great rods also. They are a little stiffer, but they will sure "zing" a bait out there! I've got em from 8 ft to 13 ft. The 13s have a little lighter tip. With a 4 oz. sinker, I can sling over half of my line off of my 7000. I haven't found anything to break one yet.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Ugly Stick is a good choice.

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    For the best casting rod be sure to match the casting weight to what you normally use. A 12oz rod will not cast a light sinker and bait well.I like one that has a 6oz rating.

9. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I have several surf rods, daiwa, okuma, cabella's and ugly stick. in the rods i have they throw best in middle to upper 3/4 of their rated weight. too little weight and they don't load up, to much and they don't have backbone to reflex for a good cast. boliver

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well before i answer i need a little more info such as length, price range, spinning or baitcaster, rod manufactorer, and stock or custom. there are a lot of options out there.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive got 2-12' Ugly Stik Big Water Rods w/ Shimano 6500 Baitrunners on both of them. I can cast a big bait+a 8 oz. sinker about 70 yds. The 12' Ugly BW are your best bet.

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    If you really want a good rod get the surf jetty xs10mhs by Lamiglas.

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I just got my 11ft Kinghawk glowstik, this is the first one that Ive ever had and have a Abu 9000 on it. I didnt have much problems with it after I got used to the extra length.

14. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Has anyone tried the Berkley Glow Stick in the Cabela's catalog????

15. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    either is a fine choice:smile2:

16. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I've got a Cabela's 11' Predator spinning rod I like alot....I've also got an Ugly Stick 8'6" Lite w/cork handles, heavy action rated at 12-30 lbs...I have'nt used the rod yet, but have a 6500 shimano baitrunner that I plan to swap between the Predator and the Ugly Stick, depending on whether I'm fishing from the old river bank or lake....DemoMan