Besides the larger and more well known

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rebcatman, Jan 13, 2008.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    catfishing lakes and rivers in VA, do you have other favorites that you also fish?

I like lake Orange and lake Curtis.

2. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm planning on heading to Lake Moomaw this year. The two-story fishery boasts both trout and other species. Some friends of mine swear by this lake. They also say the camping area is great and the lake is not overcrowded. Nestled in the mountains north of Covington...sounds really nice!

3. Johny Buck

Johny Buck New Member

State:
    virginia
    I enjoy the local ponds and lakes close to the house.

Attached Files:

4. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Sandy River reservoir near Farmville. Good numbers of channel cats up to 10 lb, some 20+ have been caught.
    Greg

5. VaFisherMan

VaFisherMan New Member

State:
    virginia
    The mattaponi and pamunkey rivers are great for catfish, gar, and bream.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Joel,

I would never have guessed a good trout lake would be good for catfishing... Though, I wonder how hard it is to fish such a lake.

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    According to the VDGIF information:

"Lake Moomaw is the second largest impoundment in western Virginia. It covers 2,530 surface acres and has a maximum depth of 152 feet. The impoundment is 'drawn down' between 10-15 feet annually, beginning slowly in June and reaching its lowest level usually by September. There are 43 miles of undeveloped, wooded shoreline.

"Before it was completed, fisheries biologists determined that Lake Moomaw had the potential for a 'two-story' sport fishery. This simply means that the reservoir would be deep enough for both warm water fish (bass, catfish, sunfish, crappie) and coldwater fish (trout). With this in mind, the lake was stocked with thousands of largemouth bass, bluegill, redear sunfish, and channel catfish in 1980. The Jackson River was already home to wild populations of smallmouth bass, rock bass, and chain pickerel, so it was understood that these species would acclimate to their new surroundings. Black crappie and yellow perch were later additions to the fishery.

"Lake Moomaw is also known for its trout fishery. A layer of cold, oxygenated water lies 15 feet below the surface. It is in this zone that stocked rainbow, brown, and brook trout thrive. Alewives, members of the herring family, were stocked in the early 1980's in order to establish a plentiful food base for both trout and other predators. These small, silvery fish are truly the 'backbone' of the lake's sport fishery. They are abundant, ubiquitous, and, seemingly the prey of choice for trophy fish that are caught from Lake Moomaw."

Concerning catfish they say:

"Lake Moomaw boasts two types of catfish species: channel catfish and yellow bullheads. Channel catfish have done very well since they were introduced in the early days of the lake. Stumps at the edge of the river channel, as well as old muskrat holes serve as habitat and spawning areas for this popular game fish. Channel catfish in excess of 20 pounds have been caught on cut bait and live bait, but 10-15 pounders are caught more frequently. Bullheads were abundant in a couple of farm ponds prior to the lake being filled, hence they were introduced 'accidentally'. Yellow bullheads do very well in the shallow flats around mid-lake. They provide good recreation for young fishermen and are a preferred food fish among some of the angling community."

They also say, "Neither a trout license nor National Forest Stamp is required." That's good news!

8. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I may have to give it a try too. That is good news about not having to purchase a trout license. Many places in the Western part of the State require one until after June 15, which can be a pain...

9. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    HOLY CRAP!!!!...channels frequently caught at 10 to 15 lbs!!!!!!!!!...that's an awesome lake right there...if it were blues or flatties than not such a big deal but to catch 10 to 15 lb channels frequently...HOLY CRAP!!!!...and the chance to land a couple in the 20 lb class...HOLY CRAP AGAIN!!!!!!

10. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Uh oh...sounds like the secret's out of the bag!

Y'all go on down to Buggs/Kerr now, ya hear? :smile2:

11. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I could drive there... the only thing is can you fish from the bank or do you need a boat??

12. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shenandoah River,10-15lb channels are common,in the large deep pools above the dams.

13. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    here in south carolina we have a lake called "lake greenwood" and we catch channels in the double digits on a regular basis but the biggest i have caught is 14 lbs 7 ounces...i know guys who have caught channels over 15 lbs but not 20 in this lake...i can't imagine having a place to fish that will produce channels in the 15 to 20 lb class on a regular basis...must be one h*ll of a fight...i know the channels here are mean but a 20 lber must just be viscious!!!(especially in a river)

14. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    Sandy River- there is a fishing pier and a couple spots at the ramp to fish from the bank; if you look at a map you will see two places where roads were flooded when the lake was made, some shore access there. 10hp limit on the lake, small boat with trolling motor is all you really need
    Greg

15. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I'd like to believe it is faily common to catch channels that large, but I do have doubts. I guess there is only one way to find out. :haha:

16. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    RebCat-come on down to the Shenandoah river in march or april I'll put you on some double digit channels,I can't promise anything over 15lbs,but i will show you plenty of 10+ pounders.

17. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    James,

Thanks, I'll take you up on the offer. I have only fished it once or twice and have not caught any cats. Plenty of small mouths though.

18. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Let me put in my two-cents for a couple of SW VA spots. Claytor Lake and the New River (above and below the lake) offer some good catfishing. Claytor Lake has really good numbers of channel cats. This past summer I caught several in the 10 to 12-lb range. My best catch (and release) was a 16-pounder. By the way, all were caught on fresh bluegill cutbait. Claytor also has some decent flathead fishing, but the New River provides more opportunities for some really big catches. It's perfect flathead habitat with deeper channels, undercut banks and plenty of submerged wood structures that produce fish into the 40+ lb range. There are several new boat ramps below Claytor Lake dam that make it much easier to get into more of the prime water. The added benefit of chasing flatheads in the New with live bait is the chance to hook up with one of its famous muskies. Several of the past state records (and current record) have been caught in the stretch between the dam and Radford City. Come on down and give it a try.

Mike

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good info guys. I'm itching to get my first citation channel, I think in VA it is 12 lbs. I pass Sandy River Reservoir on my way to the James. Too bad about the HP restrictions, I will be limited to the bank. I will definitely be trying out new waters this year, so thanks for the all the replies in this thread.

20. Ripper

Ripper New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jpritch-If you can make a trip up here to the Shenandoah River a short drive from Harrisonburg,I'm positive I can put you on a citation channel.I'm NO guide,but I have had great success the last few springs putting heavy channels in the boat.