Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Berry's Plated Bullets 40 S&W

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  hct236 
#1 ·
I've never worked with these .401 plated bullets before and looking for some "heads up" info on loading them in a 40 S&W for plinking loads...I found data for the FP version from Hodgdon and assume the HP will be in the same ballpark...But I'm mostly interested in how much crimp to put on them..I usually don't use the crimp in the bullet seating die, instead I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die that crimps and post-sizes the case. Any info or tips is much appreciated!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...diameter-180-grain-plated-target-hollow-point

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die/

#3 ·
Thanks Jimmy, I keep the crimp on my Lee seating die backed out. It ads an extra step switching out the the FCD, but so far I'm getting more reliable feeding through my Ruger after they are crimped and post-sized by the FCD. From what I read, just use a very light crimp on plated. All else is pretty much the same. Hodgdon now lists some Berry's in their data..

#4 ·
#5 ·
in the 40, I have fallen in love with LongShot powder for the "heavy for caliber bullets" Normally I don't crimp the lighter bullets in my 40, but with 180 grains and up, I'll do a light crimp to prevent setback. I've never had an issue with it, but the internet "experts" say its real easy to get over pressure in 40 S&W with 180's seating too deep...Not sure if its true or not, but its one of those things you don't want to find out for yourself..LOL

#6 ·
Considering the .40 may have more recoil set back could be a problem. Even with +p loads that isn't a issue in a 9mm.
Most three dies sets have a roll crimp which could peel the plating off, you might consider getting a tapering crimp die which would be much better with plated bullets. Actually I don't load plated bullets much anymore with just a little searching on the internet you can find jacketed bullets for just a little more money.

#7 ·
Ammunition Technology Games Gun accessory

I loaded up 50 yesterday with a middle of the road charge of LongShot and a very light crimp with the Lee factory crimp/post-size die..Burned through them today and I'm happy to say they are as accurate as the Hornady XTP's, and after running 10 through the mag, I checked the rest and the OAL hadn't changed..I will say that being a .401 there was a small amount of case bulge, but after post-sizing, most of it was gone and all 50 fed and ejected flawlessly. I wouldn't trust my life to them, but for plinking, they are cheap and accurate.

#8 ·
They look good Howard. I think the case bulge is pretty common with those bullets I get the same thing in 9mm. Don't know about the weather there but here in Missouri it was really nice for this time of year. I went to my range to test fire some loads I had made up for the Tavor today and had a great time shooting and hanging out with some friends.

#9 ·
They look good Howard. I think the case bulge is pretty common with those bullets I get the same thing in 9mm. Don't know about the weather there but here in Missouri it was really nice for this time of year. I went to my range to test fire some loads I had made up for the Tavor today and had a great time shooting and hanging out with some friends.

yesterday it was snowing and cold..Today it was sunny and about 35* a little cool but a nice day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.