Bernice bridge is getting good

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by zoelife, Apr 22, 2007.

1. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Carolyn and I went fishing at bernice yesterday and it is getting good for the cats and some bass again.

Got out there about 10am and fished until 5pm.

caught lots of miss whites(blues) average size was about 1.5# although carolyn caught a channel that came in at about 5# and she also caught a MW that was the same size possibly bigger..

They definetly kept us busy yesterday...was lots of fun..

also caught a few white bass...Total cats caught..about 15 or so..

bait we were using was cut shad and also had liver on one pole..

weather was wind about 5-10 out of the south I believe and full sun...w2ind was blowing the shad up into the rocks and they were easy to find...

Cant wait to go night fishing there soon..

If one can get out,get up or down to bernice..The cats are moving good...And Good Luck.

peace and Plenty,
    Kevin&Carolyn

2. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I may have to try and hit Bernice on my days off. Thanks for the tip on the hot spot tho.

3. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report man. Been a little busy since the OKAM to do any fishing, but really need to get out and catch some to put some pounds on the board for my team in the fish off. Keep us posted. Thanks

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm hopin that next Saturday night will be a mild one, because night fishin is next on my wish list, too. The cats were hittin real hard between 11AM and about 3PM, but so was the sunshine. Feel like toast today.
    We did catch a little bit of everything, though, and I learned that those perty pink catfish are really blues in disguise.... :roll_eyes: :lol:

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey Kevin, that sounds great!
    I'm off this weekend and we are going to try and get out there Saturday afternoon, after the kids get off work?
    That is, if I feel like going? I've had a lot of health problems the last couple months and haven't felt like doing much of anything?

If you see someone laying in a hospital bed fishing, that'll be me? :big_smile: :big_smile:
    No, it's not that bad, yet? :roll_eyes:

This is the first chance I've had to do any fishing this year and I'm ready.

Ken

6. dobbie

dobbie Member

Hey Kevin did you find shad right aroud the bridge?Sounds like you had a nice trip.

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ken,
    Yea they were right up around the rocks where the waves were blowing them in..anywhere from 3-6in in size..

Carolyn and I were going to go after I got off work today,but it may storm pretty good,so if we do not go this evening,it will possibly be tommorrow.

Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

Hope you get to feeling better Ken..

8. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey Kevin, how was the fishing after I left Sat. night?

I had a good time fishing with you and your wife, just wish I could have stayed later?

Ken

9. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey, Ken... Kevin's at work, but I can report that the cats all seemed to be snoozin :tounge_out:
    By 1 AM, I was about froze, so we headed out... just with a few of the sand bass we kept. Will give it another shot this comin Saturday, I think... during the day again, this time. Good to see ya!

10. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Thanks Carolyn, it doesn't sound like I missed much after I left?
    It was nice to meet you the other night?

Ok Kevin, lets here your side of the story?

That big one got away again didn't he? :big_smile:

I won't be able to make it this Saturday, but I'll try to meet you guys out there another night.
    I go to the hospital in the morning to have my gall bladder tested and find out if they are going to remove it or not?
    If they do, it might give me a few extra fishing days?

Take care and safe & happy fishing.

Ken

11. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

LOL... Hey, now... that big one has my name on it :wink:

Ken, let us know if you can about your gall bladder situation... will sure keep you in prayers either way. May be a good thing to just be done with it... and fishin' does have great healin properties :lol:

Hope to see ya out there again soon!

Carolyn

12. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey guys!
    Did you make it out to Bernice last night?
    If so, did you do any good?

Carolyn, did you catch the big one?

I'm off Monday and Tuesday and I'm going to try and make it out there for a little while, depending on the weather? :big_smile:

I went in Tuesday for the gall bladder test and it come back OK?
    I went to the doctor Friday and she ordered a cat scan to see if that can find anything?
    She called Friday afternoon and left a message saying the cat scan looked good and didn't see anything?

She wants me to call her Monday morning to start checking to see if the problem is an ulcer? :confused2:

I'll let you know when I find out something?

Ken

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Hey, Ken :smile2:

Sorry! Just now saw this.
    We did get out to Bernice Saturday... from 9am till 7pm, through all that wind... whew, made it hard to cast out! Kevin's gotta cast my meathunter from that spot, and usually he gets it way out there, but at one point, he did manage to nearly catch a vehicle passing on the bridge :big_smile: While he was up there retrieving the line (lol) he cast it wayyyy out from up top. That cast brought me in a cat on each of my 2 hooks! Too bad they were both shrimps :tounge_out:

We had 5-6 big bursts of bites, starting about 2 pm. Caught about a dozen small cats, total... including a few 2 pounders or so that we kept and about 5 that we gave away. All blues (Ms whites) 'cept for one channel Kev caught. We saw plenty of crappie bein caught, too!

Well, Kevin made a really interesting catch while there, but I should let him report on that :big_smile: I can only say that it was quite a surprise!! Hopefully he'll get on after work today and post.

I half hope that you're not out there in this downpour today... and half wish we could join ya! I don't guess it's too likely, but maybe if the rain lets up some we could get out there in the evening for a bit...maybe the feesh will be likin it.

Hmm... sounds like you have a mystery goin on, and that's no fun. Glad it's not your gall bladder, so no surgery required for that!! Sure hope the doc will sort it out quick and give you a diagnosis. At least if it's ulcers, that can be fairly easily treated with a few changes. If diet changes help relieve the trouble, that'd sure be a good sign. Either way, hope you're feelin better and enjoy your days off! Let us know how you're doin. Will be watchin to hear more and about your fishin report :smile2:

Carolyn

14. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Sounds like you had a good time?

I'm not going to make it out there today, but I think I'm going to try after the kids get out of school tomorrow?
    I thought we'd try it a couple hours and see what happens?

With all this rain, they should be biting along the banks pretty good, so I think we'll try the park first, then move to the bridge?

I called the doctor today and see called in some medicine and said I should see some improvement in a day or two, if it is an ulcer causing the problems?

Ken

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What lake and road is this bridge on. I'm interested in fishing in some new scenery.

16. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

It's on Grand Lake in the small town of Bernice in Northeastern Oklahoma.
    I don't remember what highway it's on?

Ken

17. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup... it was a good outing :smile2: It's a pretty decent spot for us, usually... hardly ever get skunked.
    We've never tried at the park, but when I visited the... ermm...facilities over there this weekend, I saw the water was sure flooding the banks. It's gotta be wayyy up after today's downpours. We should check that out, too!

Hey, I think the doctor's report is a good one and I betcha that medication will set everything straight and if it's an ulcer, then it can be managed without any further trouble, Ken.

One of these days, Kevin will get on here and make his fishin report, I hope... guess I stuffed him too fulla pork chops :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :lol:

Have a great night!

Carolyn

18. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry, Vince... I dunno the name of the road, either, but it's just past Bernice State Park.

19. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Fishing report..

Was just sitting there when ol' yeller started ringing..I thought,ok,another med. sized cat,well I start reeling him in and he starts pulling back..Then I get to thinking,hey this is going to be as nice as the one I caught there last year..Then he starts taking line..So,I reel him in a bit more,then he starts taking line,OH' man,am I excited..Then I finally get him up close enough to see him and what do I have???? A spoonbill..He was a nice one..Came in at 40#..all tangled up in my line...Took no time in cleaning him with the electric knife...:smile2:

was a blast...

Peace and Plenty,
    kevin

20. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the locale. I might try getting up that way in the next couple weeks and see if there's any room on the bridge to fish,LOL! Sounds like the bank is pretty full with regulars. If my spot slows down, I'll try to get up that way. For now, I'm getting quite a few.