Berkly

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Desode, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys I bought a Berkley glowstick last week and 2 days later I caught a 4 pd channel cat and the whole first foot of the rod snapped off while bringing him in ! I was TICKED big time. I was wondering do any of you guys have a Berkley glowstick and have you had any problems with them. Also if you have one what is the biggest fish you have landedn with it.

I have always been a fan of Berkley fishing gear but this one really took the cake for me. Do you guys think I should get another one or save up and get something better. I really need another good catfishing rod and reel. I just lost a nice flathead ( looked around 10pd+ ) tonight because he hooked onto my second rod which is just not set up for catfishing.

Thanks for your opinions and any ideas or suggestions,
    Matt AKA DESODE

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    to be honest,i have caught up to a 10 pound channel on mine,with no problems.i have 12 pound line on it,2 ounces of sinkers,and let it fly asa harfd as i can cast it sometimes,never had a problem.sounds like that rod may have been mishandled in s&r or a manufacturing defect or something like that.mine is a 9 footer.

they are good rods,i don't think they are quite heavy for flat fishing,but are great for channels.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use the Berkley big game and I could not be happier. I have never used the glow stick before.

4. maumee river man

maumee river man New Member

State:
    ohio
    i as well as my friends use the berkely glow rods and love them the biggest we pulled in on them was a 44 pound flattie and we had no problem with it

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have never used the Glowsticks. I have used the Big Game with no problems.

Can you return it?

6. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah I can return it, I dug up the reciept today. I called Berkley and once I finally got to talk to a real person he told me to try to take it back to the store first because they have had a lot of them come back with mostly lighting problems, and it would take a long time for them to replace it. He also said that he thinks they are discontinuing the lighted glowstick.
    Matt AKA DESODE

7. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you might have just had a defective one. id give it another try. ive never had one but the peple ive seen who do have no problems getting good size fish

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    A rod goes through alot between the time it leaves the factory till you buy it. From fatory warehouse to truck to distibutors warehouse to truck to store. Most of the time handled with forktruck by pallet load. If you've ever worked in a warehouse you wonder how anything get to a store without being damaged is some way.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What size of a glo-stick was it??? I have a 10' heavy action and I cant imagine a fish breaking it with the drag set right on my reel.:eek:oooh:

10. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a berkly lighting rod it works fine

11. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    defective rod 4 sure.ive landed large cats on my glow sticks.ive heard storys of guys breaking shakespeare tiger rods off while landing fish.tigers will pull my truck if i set the drag right!lol!it just goes to show that any rod(just like any product we purchase)can be defective.berkely puts out a quality product at a price people can afford.

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Desode

Hey guy, IF u r going 2B fishing the Ohio River from shore (OPINION and from what I've seen) u will/may b casting out 6-8 oz. of lead PLUS a whole dead Shad of 11 in. U may what to go by the 'lure weight' of a rod as 2b able to cast that amount of weight!!!! A 2-6 oz lure weight may be ok but from what I've seen is a 2-8 oz is even better if fishing from the shore.

Fiberglass is more durable than graphite but MUCH more heavy which may/will hurt the ability to get a couple more yds out of a cast. (Like @ Pike Island trying to make the cast to the break in the water from the dam) or above the dam trying to make the cast to the water going thru the dam)

Also u can attach a Glo-Stik to any rod That U May Choose!

Food fer thought

13. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    joadb, i have a shakespeare tiger rod. cost me 25 bucks and nothin has broken it, it stood up to the mighty ocean and a shark and it is still here lol. funny considering the stories of friends getting $120 set ups and breaking them on the first cast lol

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id say ya got a bad one... I have one that I have pulled in numerous 10-15 lbers with a couple 25lbers and i aint even gonna count the 5-10 my rodd has been abused in the worse way and it is gettin on time to retire it because I hear it cracking and can see the fractures in the light...I will buy nutter any day ....gonna be hard to retire the rod think I am gonna wait till she breaks and cry over it(LOL)love that rod its ole faithful!

15. Ravynsdad

Ravynsdad New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have an 8,9,and 10' I use them in the lakes and in rivers biggest so far has been 22lbs and they are great rods no probs at all.

16. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine was a 9ft, but after reading all your feedback I'm going to get another one. I must have just got a bad one. Hey that happens.
    Thanks for all the feedback, Sincerely, Matt AKA DESODE