Berkly big game and cajun red

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bluesbrother, Aug 8, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i m going to try the red in 17lb this weekend i have always been a fan of 20lb big game triline.heres hoppin i hear good about the red and its a little cheaper. lol fish on

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I like the cajun line. I use 20lb, but have been very happy with its performance.

3. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Cajun is great, and so is big game. I would recomend either one. Cajun is smother, but big game seems to be tougher.

I have both, and cant complain.

4. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    i use 30lb cajun red and i like it alot.

5. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought some Cajun Red, haven't got to try it out yet.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been using the cajun red this year and like it. I have noticed though that it has to be used to relax. It will coil up the fist few casts but after that it is great. I like the cajun red advantage it seems to pretty tough and smooth casting.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Berkely big game all the way. it might be the waters I fish in but I have rods with both of them on hardly ever catch a fish with the cajun line but deffently catch more fish with the big game on. also the other day had 20 lb berkely big game on and got caught on a stump. I pulled and pulled on that line for like five minutes and could not get it to snap. finnally it let off the stump and I had broken a 5/0 or 4/0 gam. circle hook in half. the line was still fine. Just my 2 cents
    Stephen

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have 2 reels set up with the [red] and so far i like it fine but you do need to use it some to get the memory out of it then it's ok, the rest of my stuff still has big game on it.

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have tried both, and I think that the cajun is slightly more abrasion resistant, but my local tackle shop didnt, have the cajun in 20+ so I had to buy big game, I have no complaints as of now.

Aaron

TA2D

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would stick with the time proven winner, berkly biggame!

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I'm running cajun red on 2 of my rods right now and really like it. I tried big game once it lasted about 1 month after that the 30lb line would break like it was 6lb.

12. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I going to try the red as well looks like some super line :roll_eyes:

13. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Robert;
    Somewhere in her is one of my posts on the Shakespeare Cajun lines vs. the Berkly Big Game lines. I also have a post about Cajun lines on the Bass Pro website where I did some testing of their line.
    I have used both in poundages up to 50# in my Penn Spinning reels.
    I have found the Shakespeare lines to be a bit less "springy", especially at the heavier weights and I have better luck casing further will more control. And I absolutely love the way it knots, casts and lays on my spools while retrieving!:smile2:
    Yes, it does start to disappear in water in as little as three feet.
    If you have some "coiling problems" and personally, I have had more trouble with this using the Berkley Trilene Big Game, Stren Hi-Impact, and Mason Big Cat Premium lines, try casting as heavy a weight as your rod will hold and let it really go a few times and wind it back as fast as you can turn rotate the handle. This will take the memory out of the line a bit.
    If you still having trouble with "coiling" and your not overloading the spool, try this little trick.
    Take the spool out of the reel {{remember I am talking spinning reels here}} and hold it under some running WARM water for a several minutes. I think you will find this solves the problem, especially if your coiling is between the reel and the first guide.
    It has been my experience that many coiling problems are caused by overfilled spools! But if your sure this is not the problem then try the warm water trick.
    I've also noticed during my testing that if a line is labeled "High Abrasion Resistance", "Duratough", or other such name that it is usually stiffer that a "normal" equivalent line.
    This makes sense if you consider that to make likes more abrasion resistant and tougher that the manufacturing companies have to make these lines by adding other components that while stiffening the line also either increases the diameter slightly or makes the outside "coating" harder, or both, which results in more "spring" to the line which is what causes many of the coiling and less casting distance problems!
    Personally, right now ALL of my reels have the Shakespeare Cajun Series lines on them! But what it all really boils down to is what works for YOU. Just as they make Fords, Chevy's, and Dodges, you have a choice of lines too! Take your time, try a different line now and then and discover for yourself what works best for you under the conditions you use it.
    Having said all of that, I think you starting off with the Shakespeare Cajun "reds" is a good start! You might find it's also the end of your searching too. :smile2:
    I hope this helps you out some, if you have any other questions that you feel I might be able to answer for you please feel free to send me a PM. I am sure that all the other Brothers and Sisters that read your post would be just as eager to help you as I am. All you have to do is ask them.:smile2:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

14. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have put red on all my rods and have to say I like it but i never had any problems with big game nether.All I can say is that I like the way the red looks on the reel

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Been using the Cajin Red all summer and to be honest ,when I first started using it I didn't really like. It seemed to twist up pretty bad and after it got streched out some it was great. now I like it. And it is tough line to break.I use the 20# test. Haven't tried the Big Game yet.

16. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    tried cajun red for the first time yall are right its great. except for my spincaster i spoiled it up and every bit jumped off ..lo thanks yall