berkly big cat problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by twisted, May 6, 2009.

1. twisted

twisted New Member

i was watching some fishing show and they were talking about how good the new Berkly big cat line was and how easy it was to see.so i went out and bought some. now i usually use spider wire braided line and love it.but its hard to see at night.its its only down fall.

anyway i spooled up some of the big cat and gave it a couple of cast and holy memory ! the crap unspools its self every time i cast. im using the 20lb. any way to get around this ?

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    how did you spool it? was it in the same direction as the spool and did you put it on very tight?

3. twisted

twisted New Member

im not sure if i put it on in the same direction it was on the original spool.(i think thats what ya meant)

i put it on like i put all my other line, i tied it to the reel and reeled it in holding the line tight close to the reel.

when i initially spooled it it was tight...now its not.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its best to spool it on the reel the same way it came off the spool.
    I think all you need to do is put on a big sinker and cast as far as you can a few times. Or tie the line to something solid and stretch the line.
    Or maybe you put too much line on?
    Id try castin in alot first and see how that helps.
    Good luck!

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My guess is spooled wrong tie er to a tree walk her out to the end and reel her in tight-hit the river and repeat I am running the 40 and done the same but that line has totaley sold me ...I have used pp -spidee-various utter brands of braid/mono but Berkley Tri Line Big Cat abrasion resistant is bout my faverote and most used ....I fish alot in rocky/cement areas and braid there is garbage in my opion because I have lost alot of fish to the slide across rocks but be danged if ya can cutt er (LOL)

6. twisted

twisted New Member

thanks guys ill give that a try and see what happens.

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    There is a product that you spray your line with as you spool it up called reel magic... the name speaks for itself. It does wonders with line memory!

8. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    My dad swore by WD40. He used to spray it on his line and swore it got rid of memory. I've never tried it. I think just casting it out as far as possible a bunch of times and reeling it back in does the trick. Hauling in a few hoss catfish will also take care of the problem. Good luck bud!

9. twisted

twisted New Member

im about to go fart around with it in the yard. spraying oils on it, wont that break down the plastic in the line ?

hopefully ill get out tonight and give it a try !

10. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    this is what i would try first!!!!!!

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I USED VEGGIE OIL ON.................. CASTNETS , THE POLES I USED WHEN USING SHAD FOR BAIT(NONSTICK SURFACE), ANY MONO IN THE WINTER , THE CORK ON SOME OF MY BASSRODS.........BASICALLY EVERYTHING I KNOWN.

HELL EVEN TIRE SHINE FOR MY IRONHEAD:big_smile:

TRY IT :cool2:

12. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    i always walk down across field beside my house and get at least a 100 yds of line or as much as you can cast and hook it to a tree limb and walk back and get it as tight as you can get it then stretch it almost to breaking point then let off and repeat 5-6 times and it should be as straight as an arrow i do that to all my rod n reels when i respool. only works on mono tho. hope that helps it should. be careful incase the knot/hook comes off your anchor point. lol

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you may have put to much line on or 20 mono may be to big for your reel.. What size reel you useing and is it Baitcast, Spinning or just a casting??? I know that spiderwire is way stronger for its diamiter so smaller reels can hold a heavier line when using spiderwire...

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Spooling it in the correct direction is the 1# priority as mentioned already.

After its on right..... I noticed you said that when you reeled it in the line isn't tight. This will be a major factor of the line flying off on ya. You either need more weight to keep the line tight or hold tension on the line as its reeled it ( more weight will keep more tension ). These are common problems on reels that are to small for bigger mono.

I have big reels and still every now and then I strip the line out of the back of a boat or along the shore line in the water. All the line twist will come out for ya. Its usually cause from bait twisting during retrieve...even with a swivel.

All great ideas here....the problem will be solved from one of these posts...g'luck

15. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i tie a big swivel to the end of my bare line after i fill my reel and run my line up my pole then i clip my swivel to a link in my fince and open my baitcasterand walk it all off my reel while i put a lil thum power on the spole,i stop about 5 times and pull on my line while im backing it off thats to help take the twist out.after u get all your line out( all but 3 or 4 feet) just stand there and pull tinchen on your line for 20 sec then back off let it rest for 5sec then do it over and over, ido it 4 or 5 times befor i start to reel it back in. while i reel it back in i spray the line on my reel with v, oil,about every 5 feet,when i reel it back in i let the line run inbetween my first finger and my thum about 18" above my reel. good luck bud,hope this helped

16. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have the same line and just tighten up my spool controll. works perfect.

17. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'd walk it out with a swivel also, I use BG mono, wich, BTW is the EXACT same line as Big Cat, berkley rep told me it comes off of the same assembly line, same formula, just a different package.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you buy anymore just buy berkly big game, not berkly big cat.

It is the same exact line, and you get twice as much line for the same price,

19. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    Every time I've had this problem, its because I spooled too much line on. I've only encountered this problem with spinning reels. After I let about 8 to 10 yds back off the spool, the line stays on good n tight, especially after I've made a few practice casts.

20. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    when spooling spool the way the line comes off and spool the way the reel turns