berkley tri line big cat

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catfish kenny, Jan 1, 2009.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I recently spooled 5 reels with 40lb berkley triline big cat......I got a good deal on it and I am always looking for that..Braid is my faverite but its just to costley for me to use...good mono is as effective?good....The Berkley products I have used have always been prety good.....so I am wonderin..any of you all out there using it and what do you think????

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    All my reels right now are spooled with it. I have no complaints, it seems to hold up and handles well. For the price it's a good line. Caught some nice fish with it, biggest since using it was a 40 lb flathead...made 3 runs on the drag, line held up no problem. I am considering trying braid but when I use mono this is what I'll always use. JMO

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Mike....I was gambling on a answear like that:roll_eyes:Berkley does make some good products.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use power pro braid but use the berkley big cat 40# as my leader, holds up well for abrasion

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Regardless if it's big cat or big game line you can't do wrong with berkley line.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never used it,Kenny,I do use alot of berkley XT line tho,I think berkley products are top notch.

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I agree, the big game and big cat are very similar and I dont think you can go wrong with either.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you fellas-I just need a littl re assurence I went with my gut and it seems stout nuff ...... plus....I am looking for a cheap good line that is affordable fer a poor fishing addict(LOL)...I have a excess of gear and help using it so I need to keep it working.....dont want to loose a monster I can bragg a little on:wink:(LOL)

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    kenny i use braid on some of my reels when i need to hog a fish out of cover but all other times i use mono.i use 3 differant sizes i have 20 big game on my spinning reels for channels and small flats .30 for fishing the arkansas river to help with the zebra mussels.i use 40 big game on my 7000s for fishing big live baits under barges and log jams.big game is a little more costly than other mono s but i like it.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You won't be disappointed. If you have good knots and have your drag set correct, you can land any catfish on this line. :wink:

11. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Kenny the big cat line has more abrasion resistance than the big game line, that is why they made it. i have used it on my reels and for leaders and it is top notch stuff and as you said not expensive as compared to braid and most other lines. also really like cajun red lightning, it has to be the lightning though as the other cajun reds have way to much memory. this stuff is strong, and really abrasion resistant, and cheap. either will work very well and won't hurt your wallet to bad.

12. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    I mostly use it as a leader for my braided poles. I have a few rods set up with full berkley big cat and it has done very well. i just prefer the braid for some reason.

13. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i also use the big cat 40 and the only problems i have is when i get a snag its a bieetch to break its held up on pulling 20lb fish up a 25ft wall when we fish near a lock here in pgh... nothing but great things to say about the line..

14. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i use berkly big game 40#lb it does well i'm thinking of braid but i used it sometime back and if you get hung up it pulls your boat plus it bites in your reel i'll stick with the big game'although i worry sometimes i'll hook the moster of my dreams and break it off:confused2:

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am impressed ...I was fishing our Dam it is built over natural rappids...I was reeling the boat up in had er in way good current and that SH%# did not wanna break....:smile2: it was one them times like dang ...break will ya(LOL)
    Its memeorey is acceptable .......I like it !..this is good mono fer sure:cool2:

16. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I use the Big Cat 20lb and it works great. I have it spooled on my 6500 C3 reels and it casts great.

17. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use big game solor 40lb test and big cat 40lb test i asked berkley which one was better and they sent me a email back saying the big cat line is more shock resistance thn big game other than that they are the same

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice-thanks fer the heads up!:cool2:

19. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I use both the big cat and the big game and have had no problems with either of them. They both seem to cast very smooth. I'll have to agree with the others guys you cant go wrong with either one.:wink:

20. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Berkley Big Game Triline is the only line that I use, the majority of my poles are lined with 40#, and my 209's, and 309's with 50#. I haven't had any fish break the line, I use a 50# berkley mono big game as a leader 2 ft long with palomar knots. I a 45# flattie last summer on 30lb berkley and had no problems. The line casts fairly smoothly, and doesn't backlash a lot except on my Penn 109. Great line, best line for the money.