Berkley Steelon Leaders

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Brother Dave, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Brother Dave

Brother Dave New Member

State:
    Williamsburg Io
    Hey All, i just bought some Berklet Steelon Leaders (12") and was wondering if anyone has ever used them. Did you like them?
    Don't Forget, Jesus Loves Ya!
    Brother Dave
    John 15.12

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Welcome to the BOC Brother Dave!:0a25:.

3. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've never used the Berkeley Steelon leaders. I used to use store bought leaders but bigger fish would pull the snaps open and swim off with the hook. I just started making my own. They are cheaper and I like them better. A lot of people use 40# or 50# mono for leaders but I don't have any so I use 50# Spiderwire.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brother Dave Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I have never use those leaders. Normally make my own.:0a25::0a25::0a22:

5. Brother Dave

Brother Dave New Member

State:
    Williamsburg Io
    Thanks guys, for responding to my thread, I should say I bought them on clearance at Scheel's for .99 cents a 3 pack, so I didn't lose much, if I don't lose a fish. They are 45lbs. test, 12" long and have a new double lock snap. It is a pain to get a hook on, but it will take really big cat to pull it apart.
    Thanks guys, you are graet
    Brother Dave

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good buy Dave. Can't go wrong for that price.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I want to try some of the steel leaders that you can tie with regular knots this year.Rather pricey though!:wink:

8. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I'm gonna stick with making my own from now on. I used the steel leaders for a while, but started getting worried about the metal clasp's. Use what you like and having fun is the most important part :big_smile:

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I bought a crimper,couple spools of wire,and some sleeves this year.Costs me about 1/10 of store price to make my own.You can also test them out at home with a scale and see how much pressure they,ll take before they break.:wink:

10. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Good call. I've thought about trying that but have always put it off. You mentioned sleeves, what are they? Thanks!

11. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

They,re just small 1/2 long hollow tubes that you run your wire through and then back to make your loop.In the sections of catalogs where they sell the wire and crimpers,they sell different size sleeves for the different sizes of wire.When you crimp the sleeves closed,that,s what holds everything together.Not only do you get leaders the length you want ,but also the # test you want too.Another plus is you just run the wire through your hook eye before crimping,that way you don,t gotta have no snap(weak point).It,s way easier than what it sounds!5 minutes practice and you,ll be putting them out perfect.:wink: