Berkley Reflex Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Leiter, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Leiter

Leiter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone with any input? Are they a decent rod? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive got one and i love it. One of my fav rods, its been threw all kinds of hell and haven't broken the tip or bent a eye off. Ive actually caught more fish on that rod than any others, its my lucky pole. think mines a 10ft med heavy with a penn 209 on it. Think I only paid 15 bucks for it at BPS wish i had got a couple more.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    My dad bought me a medium/heavy berkely reflex rod to start me on catfishing about.......8 YEARS AGO.

Ever since then, with decent caretaking, I've never had to replace rod tip or ferrule, nothing. My eva handle is still how I got it. The reflective tape has rubbed off somewhat, but that would be all it has to show for its age. I've landed too many fish on that thing to count, including my first flathead two nights ago. I would really consider buying it if I were you even though there isn't much talk about it. The only thing is that I have never been able to hook up a fish with a circle hook on the thing, the tip isn't fast enough, but I do get a great hook up rate with kahles and trebles. Good rod.

4. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i have seven 8' med/heavy and three 10' med/heavey and i love them, have caught many a fish with no problems. i use these rods for drift fishing with circle hooks and have a 95% hook up rate. It is to bad berkley stop making these rods and replace them with glowstick. any who i would not give mine up for the world.

clayton

5. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    To me the Berkley Reflex is a awesome rod. I own one in a 9FT Medium Heavy. That is my go to rod.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I got a 9' Reflex last year. Great rod so far, have not had any problems with it.

7. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    sounds like mine, 10ft with Penn 209 and 80lb spiderwire. I have never had a problem from mine and love it to death, biggest things its battled however was a 40lb flat.

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    had two 10 footers but i passed them on down. but they are some awesome rods.

9. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Got (2) 8' MH casting models and (1) 9' MH spinning.

Awesome rods!

8 footer teamed with a Garcia 7000C3 pulled in the 48 pounder in my avatar photo.

Wish Berkley still made them. The Glowsticks are very, very similar if not the exact same rod but I still like the Reflexes!

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Walmart used to carry a Reflex rod that just like the current Big Game Rods, but I saw a VERY NICE Reflex rod today from my local tackle shop. This had corck grips & around a $40 price tag. If I had more it may have came home w/ me.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Several years ago, I spent over a year doing research trying to find a "perfect" bankfishing rod. Well, at least one that was right for what I wanted. Nothing fit the bill exactly. There just wasn't one made that had everything. For one, has anyone noticed that none of the high end rods are white in color? With my eyesight, I really wanted a bankfishing rod in white. In those studies, I found that the Reflex had exactly the rod blank I wanted, and was white. It didn't have anything else on it I wanted, but the rod blank was great. Anyway, I bought three 8ft spinning Reflexes and took them to a custon rod builder. I had him install St. Croix cork butt and forearms, 8 Fuji Ceramic guides, St. Croix stainless reel seats and a new rod tip (I forgot the name of the tip). Now I have the "perfect" rods for my baitrunner reels when fishing from the bank.

Incidentally, in my research, I also found my "perfect" boat rod for fishing the Mississippi River. I bought 6 Ugly Stick Tiger Rods in 7ft one piece for my ABU 7000c3's.

One of the big drawbacks in buying rods off the rack is that rarely are they "splined" correctly. You almost have to have a rod builder make one to get that. After checking over 30 Tiger rods for correct spline, every one was done right. Highly unusual!

12. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Those are the Reflex's that I have. Berkley redesigned them not too long ago and then they just dropped that line of rods. They have white rod blanks with a yellow tip, red/black wrapping at the guides, and nice cork grips. Some guys don't like the cork for cats but I sure do. $40 price tag sounds about right as well. You won't be disappointed in that rod if you pick it up.

Which model was it btw?