Berkley PowerBait Catfish Chunks?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Water Wolf, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Has anyone tried Berkley PowerBait Catfish Chunks. I was just at Walmart and started looking at the commercially prepared catfish baits and wondered about it. PowerBait works great for trout. What are your thoughts?

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have bought them a few years back and did no good with them but I fish rivers so I am thinking that maybe the would work in lakes and maybe even for Blues.

Only place I ever got a bite on them was at a paylake and it was bullheads.

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've never tried them myself but I've never heard of anyone having much luck out of them either.

4. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Throw them in the trashcan! You've probably got a better chance of catching a catfish with them there than in a lake or river. LOL. Seriously, I "experimented" early last summer with some of the Berkley baits, shrimp, stink baits, nighcrawlers and fresh cutbait. I caught one small channel cat on worms. The rest, and much bigger channels, were all caught on cutbait, specifically bluegills. I hope this helps.

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    That stuff is so bad, I could not even give it away. I tried it several times in diffrent conditions; I never got bit! I left the remainig power chunks in the back of my bed truck nobody ever took it:smile2::smile2:

Jaime

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I buy alot of that bait from wal mart and use it I have had some luck with them the best one I have used was the blood baits, and also the power bait is a good bait too.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have NO experience with the catfish Berkley Power Bait, but the chartreuse Berkley crappie Power Bait is the heat!! Them Berkley Big Game rods ain't half bad either, but I digress! :)
    BB in SC

8. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thank you all for your help on this topic. I really appreciate it. I'll save my money since I know cut bait, worms, and livers will work.

Lovin' this forum so far!

:0a18:

9. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm using only fresh cutbait this year. The last 7 channel cats I caught on fresh cut bluegills late last summer averaged over 10-lbs, including my PB of 16-lbs 3-oz. I know folks that swear by processed baits, but I've never had any luck with them. Good luck to you.

10. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    greetings,

i bought a bag of the liver flavor. it looks so perfectly delicious. i used it on 5 different lakes and 2 rivers. out of the whole bag of yummy looking nuggets only one worked. i caught only one fish and it wasn't even a catfish :embarassed:.

turned out to be a common carp.
    it was a big huge pig hawg carp that fought harder than anything i have felt in freshwater so i was happy.:big_smile: but i think i will probably not buy that stuff. it's too hard. even in the river after an hour it's intact so how is it suppose to disperse scent and taste?

regards,
    m.a.d.

11. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    No but I am going to try em now.

12. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    I HAVE USED THEM A FEW TIMES AND HAVE ONLY CAUGHT 1 2LB CHANNEL ON IT IN ABOUT 20 HOURS OF USE SO NOT MY PICK FOR SURE

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    somebody gave me some for free. i used them one time and gave them back. told him they werent even worth the effort to throw them in the trash for me.

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    The kind for trout work very well,i can catch my limit everytime i use the kind for trout.The powerbait for catfish.....junk.I used a whole bag and caught one cat,it was however a 10# cat but thats the only one.

15. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I tried a bag of power bait chunks last fall and caught nothing on them.
    I caught fish that trip on bream and cut shad, but none on the power bait.
    This was on Beaver lake here in Arkansas. Good luck if you try it.

16. RonaldMcDonald

RonaldMcDonald New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I think they work pretty well. My bro caught a nice size channel on them. They might work better though if you use them with dip baits. I personally have only tried them a few times, but I have gotten a couple nice bites.

17. CaveBear

CaveBear New Member

State:
    Ca.
    liver is cheeper and works way better.

18. Goby

Goby New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Have tried the two scents of PB catfish bait and never got even a nibble. In fact none of the prepared catfish baits have ever worked for me not even the preserved chicken livers I got recently. The only Powerbaits that have ever worked for me are the trout dough, crappie nibbles and plastic grubs. The fake nightcrawlers, corn and maggots in a jar with scent also have never worked. The best thing Berkley makes is the 2 inch grubs in milky shad color and the Trans-Optic line.

19. kaotic

kaotic New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I've tried the red ones and the tan ones, not a bite. I put them on a 25 hook trotline, one channel. Not worth the time.