Berkley Lightning Rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by festus, Jan 25, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

Has anyone owned one of these or could recommend it? Does it have any weak or strong points? Just wondering, I saw one a few days ago and thought about buying one later. This one was a little over $40, 7'6", action Heavy, rated for 12 to 25 lb test, recommended lure size 3/8 to 1-1/2 oz. I was thinking about getting one for striper fishing with jigs or maybe light catfishing in waters without a lot of current

2. nitrofreq

nitrofreq New Member

State:
    iowa
    i have 2 7' med. spinning rods and a 7' med. heavy casting rod. i use the 2 spinning rods for walleye and the MH rod is for trolling. when i fish for white/hybrid bass in the river i take the linecounter off and put an abu baitcaster on it. ive had them about 5 years. haven't had any problems at all with them. i would reccomend them to anyone looking for a quality lower priced rod.

cody.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010

3. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I think they are GREAt rods..I have one for B@$$ and channel fishing and i love it i have an abu garcia black max on it..I had a silver max on it but i put that on a lightning rod shock..Great dib bait rod..I have a 7'6" H action...

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if your thinking of paying that mutch for one might as well pay 20-30 more and get one with an abu on it from walmart

5. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    I had three of them and they are good for lite weight when casting and very strong Now my dad has them and he got 6 all together and he likes them alot I just had to get me something to cast more weight than they would cast but have caught alot of fish in 15 to 30 lb range cats and stripes

6. festus

festus New Member

Which Abu was on the rod? I'd planned on putting my Swedish Abu 5000C on the Lightning Rod. And I was wrong, they only cost about $36. The only Abus I see at Walmart are the Chinese ones.

7. festus

festus New Member

Brian, would you reckon the Lightning Rod would cast a 1-1/2 oz striper jig? That or a 2 oz jig would just about be my limits. It's rated for up to 1-1/2 oz, but at the most I would throw 2 oz. Yep, I have several more big rods for heavier fishing.

8. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    Yeah I casted 2 oz with mine I just wanted some that if I wanted to cast a 16 oz bait I could

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I got a couple of rods that will cast 4 oz to 8 oz weights pretty good, but will get one that I can easily cast a pound or more probably before prime fishing season hits here.

10. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    I was just remebered the rod And reel I use for striper fishing is a 6ft6 med. berkley lightning rod and a shimano corlas (I think it spelled Right) with 12 lb test line and it works great I've caught 25 lb stripes on it

11. festus

festus New Member

Was the Shimano a Corvalus Yelling Rebel? Check out the photo, it sounds like a good combo. The Lightning Rod I want is the 7'6" long handled trigger baitcaster, heavy action, rated for 12-25 lb test mono, 3/8 to 1-1/2 oz lures. I was wrong, Walmart doesn't have it in stock, but BPS does and I'm shopping around for a cheaper price than $49.99. I'll look into it later. Since New Year's I've bought 5 new rods and reels. One was for my gal, it's one of those pink spinning combos, for an early Valentine present. If I can get the Lightning Rod, and another heavy catfish outfit, I'm set for the year.

Heck, it seems the more fishing tackle I buy, the more I want.

12. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    naw that wasn't it it's a low profile reel If i'm not mistaking they discontiue the reel but I think they are bringing them back it's a good reel the first baitcaster I was able to cast 1/16 th oz to 2 oz jig with I'll look at the name make sure I'm spelling it right

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Hmmm.Lets see here Festus.Your girlfreind don,t bitch about ya buying 5 new set-ups this month.She,s happy getting fishing gear for Valentines day.I,d say you better marry this one QUICK!You got a keeper on your hands there brother.:eek::wink:

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im with pat, i would slip a ring on that finger and be done with it if i were you.

looks like you may have found you a good muskie rod also. i like a 6' 6" - 7' 6" heavy action for plugging for muskie.

15. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    hey festus the name of that reel I use on that lighting rod is a shimano bantam coriolis it is a good reel with 2 oz you'll spool the reel easy if you don't watch it hake even 1 oz even do it because I done it before and broke my line at the end when it all came off

16. festus

festus New Member

OK, here's a photo of the Shimano Coriolus. I've seen those, but never owned a Shimano baitcaster. Those low profile reels are ok for bass, walleye, or smaller fish, but they don't have enough line capacity unless you can chase a big fish down in a boat. I have a Daiwa that's similar, it only holds about 100 yds of line. Good reel, however.

17. yellingrebel78

State:
    georgia
    I use mine in a creek here were the stripes run up in the rest of the time I'm using abu it's the only reel that I have diff. and the only reason I got it someone gave it to me because I don't want to pay the price for shimano reels but I got to give it to them they can build a good reel

18. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    I own two 7ft mh lightning rods. Last year i caught a 45 lb flathead on it in heavy current with no trouble. I also cast large weights and whole live bait with it as well. this is with an abu garcia 6000

19. cattoon

cattoon Member

State:
    alabama
    I have 3 of them and my brother-in-law has one also, I use mine mostly for throwing big zara spooks for stripe, I like me some topwater fishing, but they also work well for the catfishing I do in the tailrace from the boat. I broke one last year about 3 ft up from the butt,sent it back to berkley and they replaced it. Mine are 7ft mh casting.

20. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    fished with a guy weds that uses those rods he caught a channel cat that was about 5lbs the rod did ok but wouldnt want it for trophy blues not enough back bone