Berkley Ironsilk

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Patmansc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I've just purchased some 30# Ironsilk solar mint that I'm gonna try on a couple of my reels. Anybody used this before?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have used 20#..I felt it served me well here on the lake and your going to love the visabilty of that line, it really shows up well. Using a black light it looked like rope. If you river fish...someone else will have to address that issue.

3. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love Iron Silk line. I use it for everything;) I hear a lot of guys say it is junk, but I have not had any problems with it. little memory. What memory it does have will work itself out after a few throws. :)

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I used it for about 2 years and switched to Berkley Big Game line. Why,I have no idea. LOL! You all know how strange fishermen are. LOL! One thing with the Iron Silk,it tied a sweet knot.

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    made two trys at it 6 to 8 lb test, crappie fishing. frist time line got rotten after sun hit it for a while, about 30 days. Talk to rep. at BP, said frist batch of it wasnt made right, tryed again, some better,didnt seem right, thought.
    Hope the heavery test works better, for you guys. I sure like the color.

6. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the 6 lb on my ultra light and love the stuff. It seems to hold up to a lot more crap than other lines I have used. The heavy stuff is great too. I have one reel that was spooled up 2 yrs ago and I am just now going to respool. Normally I respool 2 times a year on the cat rigs, but I did not need to.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    What do you think about using the left-over line for leaders? Or is the color )Solar Mint) too bright?

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thats what I use is left over line.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Pat I did a lot of experimenting with this and to be honest I found no difference in the catfish bite when I attatched the hook directly to bright green line. To me it seems as long as you have something on the end of your line that they want to eat, they will eat it. It could be that water clarity could play a part since the lake I fish in has a lot of traffic and a current. I am sure I will get flack from others for saying that but the fact remains, that was the result of my experiment on this body of water. Give it a try and if you don't feel its working for ya then go back to a clear leader. While I was experimenting I used both clear and green at the same time and fished for Blues and Channel cats. Never tried Flatheadin using the green. If you think about it though, a lot of big cats are caught on trot lines which I would not exactly call low vis. Good Luck and best fishing in 2006.

10. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    iorn silk has 0 memory if it ever becomes all curly and funky just tie your tag end off and pull the line not really hard but firmly and it will straighten right out

11. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I tried Ironsilk for two fishing trips and then took it off. In the area I fish, Pacific Northwest, much of the river bottoms are covered with sharp basalt rock, or rounded chunks of basalt. My experience was that the least little fraying, on Ironsilk, caused an immediate break point. This breaking point was maybe at 25% of the rated test, if that. The line broke off far too often. When I tried Ironsilk, I was fishing for steelhead, bouncing the bottom. Regular monofiliment can appear frayed, but still have the tensile strength of the diameter of the unfrayed cross-section. What I experienced was any fraying, of Ironsilk, meant the line would fail with little effort. I've gone to Berkley Fireline which I am most impressed with, for the environment I fish in.

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    we use the braided green line thaaat you use for trot line stagen, It works fine caught a 44lb 8lb 32lb in two nights. sam davis

13. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    braided line all the way. If I cant chew the line in half with my own teeth I knwo its good haha