Berkley Gulp Livers

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by blackburnian, Jul 5, 2007.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    Chicken Livers are such good Channel Catfish bait but so messy and spoil so easily. Berkley has tried to make an artificial chicken liver in their Gulp line. Has anyone had any luck with it? I tried one and it stayed on the hook very well, almost like it became part of the hook.
    Stink baits, Dip Baits and Dough Baits no matter which flavor have never worked for me, so I gave up on them. Allegheny River Channels seem to prefer something more natural.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've never had any luck with artificial bait. I do mix a ton of garlic salt in with my chicken livers if I'm going channel cat fishing, toughens them up and at least after fishing you smell like garlicky chicken guts instead of just chicken guts. Also, I keep mine in the cooler and if I have a bunch left, I put them back in the freezer when I get home. I haven't noticed the channels caring if they're fresh or frozen.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Scott,

I havn't had much luck with the Gulp Livers either. Like stated before me I like put about 4 tablespoons of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of garlic powder on real chicken livers 2-5 days before i plan on using them. It does toughen them up alot. If you look in the library it shows you how to cure your livers using the sun and salt and garlic.

4. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    No Luck what so ever out her in n Texas.... I have always had success with Gulp products but I went thru 2 of them with no luck even chumed the watter with then still no luck. Went to the same spot the very next day with real chicken liver and scored some nice channels!

I have used thier salt water shrimp and fish skins with success but nothing like reg chicken liver in garlic and cayanne pepper