Berkley Gulp as Channel Cat Bait-Any opinions on this article?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SusquehannaCats, Jan 30, 2006.

1. SusquehannaCats

SusquehannaCats New Member

State:
    New York
  2. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    have'nt tried it myself, but i know for a fact alot of BIG flathead are caught on crank baits and jigs. there is a steel dam in moline il, right where the rock river runs into the mississippi river. every spring there is a flathead run there, and they do catch some monsters

3. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I have caught a couple catfish on spinner baits while bass fishing but nothing over couple pounds

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If they say it happens then so be it. I for one do not go fishin to beat the water for hours on end. LOL!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Same here. I agree. :)

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use to bass fish a lot, am tired of tossing all time, give me some cut bait and I will be HAPPY.

7. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Amen George. I don't go fishing to get my excersize. I have noticed more "outdoor" writers are using the "artificial" subject line. This is how PETA got the "live bait" ban started in England, they started with the press stating that "lures" worked as well as "wiggly" little minnows. Not to be a "doom sayer," but there are as many ""non-normal"" people that read those articles as there are sportsmen.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i dont use artificial lures for cats only for my bass and trout and salmon.
    as far as peta if people would get some brass to them and stand up them tree hugger types wouldnt be around. they try to hold a talk here in my area a while back they were booed out by the fishermen and nonfishermen dont think we will see them around my area again trying to hold any talks to educate us.:p

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It does'nt suprise me too much. I caught a channel cat on a crappie jig that had rolled off the dock into the water by accident. I was'nt even fishing! I perfer fishing with natural bait though. I think fishing for catfish with lures wil ruin our sport! I can see it now, 2000 dollar rods and reels, groupies or caddies to take your fish on the hook! All those 75 mph bass boats will be rushing to our catfish holes! They will build resorts! Be Hummers instead of pick up trucks at your favorite fishing holes! Its allready bad enough when bass fisherman cross your line over and over and feels the lure comes with specific rights over bait fisherman! Also teaching a kid to catfish with a lure, will likly ruin him for life! (Josh, you dont catfish with lures, do you?) Catfish should be taken with bait or at least something that smells like bait! A catfisherman should smell like a catfisherman too! lmao:)

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    if you noticed they never made any mention to using live/cut bait and how much more effective they are... and also how many more cats they would have caught if they had used live/cut bait... I think 9 channels is not a bad total for a day but look at all the by catch they brought in as well... Not my idea of catfishing... a few smaller white perch on worms is fine, but they get annoying after a while...

He also made reference to a 3-4 lb catfish (my guess an 18-20 incher and closer to the 3 lb mark) but as most of us know the cats get much larger then their Ba$$ "cousins" that so many people fish for. I'm going to contact him see if i can't get out on his boat one day to do a test of traditional baits vs. his idea of a good catfish bait. Plus he's fishing in August when there are more active Channels and larger ones too.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have used gulp earth worms to catch our bait(gills) for the last 2 years. the same bottle even! lol never tried it for cats, though i bet it would work. mite have to try gulp nightcrawlers this year a bit.

12. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Those 5 cats 4 to 5 pounds on my profile picture were caught on Berkly Gulp on Coleto Creek lake in Texas.:0a23:

13. Slimer13

Slimer13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just used two packages on saturday and sunday to see if it would hold up to its claim of outfishing real bait. I fish a tidal bayou and bait does not stay on the hook long. You could not give this stuff away. I ran some on limb lines and a trotline. Ran the lines the next mourning and I caught 15 channels and 5 blues on cured liver but all 24 pieces of Gulp were just were I left them. Not even the croakers or the blue crabs would touch them.:confused:
    The worst bait ever. :thumbdown There is no way this stuff will out fish real liver or any other bait.

You may have better luck with them than I had but I would not waste the money to find out.

14. Slimer13

Slimer13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was using the new gulp catfish bites not the worms.
    The worms on the other hand work great for bass and big crappie.

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can't even get a perch to nimble the stuff. It is great for taking a nap and not worrying about your rod and reel:cool. Just my experience.:confused:
    Jim