The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is now my go to bait for panfish.

I slide that on a 1/64 ounce jig and suspend it under a adjust-a-bubble clear float. depth is variable so I use a sliding bobber stop

I might add a couple BB shot to the leader below the bobber to sink it a little faster.

I caught my best crappie ever this past spring on this rig and it apparently works to catch bluegill all year long.

I went out last week to my bait catching pond and though it was cold, I put 12 bluegill in the freezer for spring baiting catfish.

Frozen bluegill bait works best in february, march and april. beyond that it won't do you as much good but I guess it is still better than canned commercial stinkbaits

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
813 Posts
Yep,
I use the emerald shiner. Just as effective as worms the tiny ones cant get it off. Ive also caught several crappie by accident. Use 2 or 4 pound test on small spinning combo.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
At Sardis spillway I had thrown out every color jig/grub that I had, at every depth, not the first fish. I drove to the bait shop for minnows. A guy was in there saying, these will catch fish when nothing else will, so I bought a pack. In 2 hours I had a limit of crappie a bunch of white bass and catfish. The last I caught was a large black bass. I worked him as well as I could with 4# test. No net so it took my jig.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Use gulp 1 inch minnows as well after watching kayak catfish use them on YouTube. On a trout magnet 1/32 ounce darter head jig head. Catches panfish as good as live bait w/o hassle or mess of live bait

1 - 6 of 6 Posts