Berkley Gorilla - What's the Story?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by oahegw, Aug 16, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    This spring I was digging thru my stuff and came across a roll of Berkley Gorilla braided line.
    My question are:
    1) Was this the first of Berkleys new super line?
    I see on their web site that it is still for sale.

2) Have any of you guys ever used it? If so, with what results.

I'm a power Pro fan myself, so guess the grandsons will make use of it.

What say you?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yes i have some on a reel right now.i will tell you this i got the 50# braid on it and its suppose to be the same diameter as 14# mono.Well there is no possible way, that stuff is thicker then 30# mono.Its strong and i find it to be abrasion resistant,it casts not bad.But to me its just to thick.Its pretty good stuff i guess but i like mono line alot so maybe im a little biased.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    like the previous guy said the stuff is THICK I had some 50 a while back and it was awefull. I only fit about 250 yards on a 300 yard reel spooled tight, it didn't cast well at all. you're on the right track with the power pro that's all I use right now except I just oreder some team catfish tug o war braid to see what it's like but for now it's pp all the way.

4. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the grandsons will be using up my Gorilla 30 lb. line.

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used it once and it tended to slip at the knot. I use 50# spiderwire and it is like silk, gorilla was like a cord.

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WELLL..... IF YOU LIKE TO MAKE HAIR RIGS FOR CARP FISHING LIKE I DO AND JUST SO HAPPEN TO (FIND) A SPOOL OF IT LIKE I DID THEN ITS WORTH THE PRICE :wink: (THAT SAYS IT ALL)

ITS ACTUALLY NOT THAT BAD OF A BRAID BUT ITS NOT THAT GOOD OF A BRAID EITHER :eek:oooh:

STICK TO PP AND YOULL BE WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY MORE HAPPY

LeRoy

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I've been working on using up a huge spool of the gorrilla line for quite a few years(bought when it was new) 80lb. test,problem is the stuff is tough and lasts forever,so I'm only using up about 10 yards a year on reties and snags. you can pull a stump with this stuff,it is a little bit thicker than the newer stuff,but it ties well with the right knot and I've never had a fish break it. I bought on of those dealer spools that stores use for putting line on customers reels at a big discount when a local store went out of buisness,think I gave the guy like 30 bucks for it.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

YOU SAVED BUKU$$$$$$ BRO

WAY TA SAVE!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

9. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I still have a couple rods with 35# gorilla braid on them. The rest of my rods have power pro. Don't like the gorilla as much as the PP but the stuff is tuff as nails and it works just perfect for me.