Berkley Glowstik rods.

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by MichaelP, Mar 24, 2008.

1. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Anyone else use one? Do they hold up?

2. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I heard they are very good poles. I am accually going to go pick up a 8ft medieum baitcast tomorrow. I will try it out and get back with ya!:wink:

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I think it would be useful if nothing more than keeping my drunk friends from stomping my poles into the ground.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Adam, you will be one with the force, young jedi :wink:

5. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Adam, Congrats, on your new rod.

6. catfish_hunter79

catfish_hunter79 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have one and i love mine its been good to me unlike my ex-wife its held up through the year.lol

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I dont own one but know of someone who does. I wouldnt recommend it. What use does the whole pole lighting up have besides giving up your spot? They look cheap and I dont think they can handle big fish. Just my opinion.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Personally dont like 2 piece rods

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    My buddy just got two of the 8ft casting model rods and they are great in my opinion. They've got a nice action. You can't go horsing a BIG fish in with them but if you play the fish right on them they'll be fine. They also will throw 8oz of weight and a decent sized bait as well. Good rods and I think the glow is cool even though others may not.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It seems pretty cut and dried.The folks that don't have one and never had one don't like them.

The folks that do have them and use them like them.

I like mine.I think the light is a waste but the spinning and casting models I own are good rods in my opinion and I would buy them again.Any light will make them glow for hours.

I can say that they are a far better rod than any Ugly Stick that I ever bought!

That Said,I only bought one Ugly Stick.It had a obvious flaw that Ugly Stick saw and admitted when I shipped it too them.They admitted it was a flaw.I paid to have it shipped BACK to me after they refused to make it good.I only had it a short time before it broke.Their excuse was that it was a manufactures flaw and I should take it up with them.Now they could not tell me who that was to take it up with.It seems as if they had just changed hands and my LIFE TIME warranty Ugly Stick was just so much manure.I have NEVER bought another.I can honestly and I do say that every one that I ever owned was garbage and I can honestly and I do say that Ugly Stick never stood behind their warranty on any rod that I ever bought from them.I threw mine in the trash.They were considered a expensive rod at the time.Had they had any honor or honesty,I would still be buying their products.I do not mind telling the world about how they treated me.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    me personally I like them there good rods

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have 3 of them 2 r 8ftrs and 1 is 7 ftr love them at night i can c them without any special lights

13. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I got me one today it is an 8ft two peice and I love it.

14. ONEMORECAT

ONEMORECAT New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    My Berkley glow sticks didnot hold up .one snaped in two under the wieght of a big cat.The others at the switch at the bottom of the rod.After 1 month.I like e-glass rods for catfishing,when used with mono .whuppin sticks are good.king kats are good,but king kat pro in 9ft are my best,If you can find them.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have drove mine like I stole it and it is diong fine-I have caught 3 of five PB and it is still giong-beat up but good-worth the money I'd say!

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have four of them 2 -8' and 2- 9' bigest fish so for has been a 41lb blue had no problum landing it but the tiger rod is hard to bet and if you do not like the glow dont turn it on and the glow does not seem to bother the action.

17. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    I like all four of my glowsticks. They are durable rods, before even considering the light. The light definately illumintes the rod and is very handy for its intended purpose. I like to have the lighted walking stick to view the ground, at night, as I walk back to the RV. Enough light to see the snakes, or skunks, on the ground.

I did get a 4' sturgeon on my 10', 2-piece, glowstick. The rod did what it was suppose to.

One other this to note is that the Glowstiks have a generous quantity of guides on the rod. I believe this helps to better use the power of the fiberglass. It makes the rod bend, in more places, to balance out the "curve" of the resisting power. Bending E-glass resist being bent. A straight section, of un-bending rod, adds nothing to the action, or fish resistance capability, of the rod. The more you bend the "spring", the rod, the more resistant the force to fight the fish with.

18. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I just bought a 9ft one for my 9000 and hope it works well. I have 40# on my reel and the rod is only rated for 30 will that hurt it much or will that just affect casting?

19. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I saw a whole rack of these rods today at Cabela's and I'm not sure I could deal with the weird look these rods have.... It looked like a big rack of Star Wars light sabres!...:wink:

20. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    Rod manufacturers have taken the "protect-the-warranty-exposure" by using low line weights or minimal sinker size for the rod specs. If your rod breaks, they point to their shaded values and go "it's your fault". Truth, in the world, fishing or manufacturing, is a lost art.

The heavier line will likely cast a little shorter. The Glowstik will deal with that heavier line weight. Your warranty won't. I believe the Glowstik will surpass the warranty with flying colors.