Berkley Glowsticks

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fcrnnngbck25, Jan 11, 2009.

1. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    Just curious to see how these rods are. They seem intriguing with the fact that they glow, but my concern is how tough these rods are. My cousin picked up a few and been telling me about them. So he sparked my interest on these rods as I'm scouring the net for my spring pickups for the new season.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 10' glow-stick. It seems to be plenty tough enough. I like mine!!:big_smile:

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    They seem reasonable on price at catfish connections as well :crazy:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you'd like I will go take a pic of my beat up and almose broken glow stick..I have read some bad reviews on them...but the one I have I've had for bout 5 yrs now and it is a 7ft. mh ..it has been stepped on broke the tip -redneck repaired ...I have landed several fish with it in the 20-30 lb range on down ......the 30 on my photo album was landed with it....it has started to crack from serious neglect and abuse getting tossed up & down on the wall but for the money I would and am gonna buy me another on here comming up I like Berkley products and am amazed at how I have tortured this rod ...I dont want to retire it because it is my lucky rod (LOL)but you can only abuse them so much(LOL) If I was a betting man I'd bet you'd be happy with one to......They aint to darn bad fer the money!

5. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have one of the ones that you put batteries in the handle and it lights up the rod.I would not buy any more of the ones with batteries. It will not light up , I never left the bat. in it but it will not work. and the handle is to large to fit in the rod holders, and one of the inserts for one of the eyes fell out. Good strong rod !

6. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I believe there only 30 bucks on catfish connections. I figure it could be a cheap investment and try out. I'll probably pick up one and see how I like it.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got a 9ft that I have used a few times. Seem strong enough.Just need to find the right reel to match up with it.Only thing i don't like is handle is too darn fat to put in most pole holders unless U make one just for it Other than that they seem OK!.

8. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    The 10' that I have still lights up with batteries. The handle is large and it requires a big rod holder. The ones I use work fine. The heavy duty spiral bank rod holders. You push one of them bad boys into the ground and there ain't no fish gonna get that rod or holder out of the ground. Its all I can do to get it back out the next morning. If you take good care of it....it should last a long time.:wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i checked them out at cabela's and would of gottin one but the only thing i didn't like was the butt of the pole was very thick, everything i hear about them has been good

10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I agree they seem like a good sturdy pole for the money :wink:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You might be able to correct the problem with the wide grips,,If you can find a Lethe that will accommodate the size of the butt, you should be able to turn them down enough using plain sand paper..just slowly take the steps from 40 grit to 120 and you will have a smooth handle, that will fit nicely into your rod holders.:wink:

12. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I'm not to concerned about the butt's wideness. I fish from the bank anyhow and I can make my own rod holders. I took a machine class in highschool just for those such thinks :wink:

13. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry for the crude drawing. These rod holders will handle the largest of rods. My 10' glo Stick fits into these with room to spare. They can be purchased at the Catfish Connection for only about $3.00 each and I have found them to be superb in holding a large rod. Even when a 67 lb flathead is doubling over the rod to the ground. I have 6 of them and fish with very large butted rods. Some are cork handled like the 10' Glo stick and some are of neoprene I think. I think it is hard to beat these rod holders for bank fishing. I dont think a fish can get your rod while using one of these either. Even if you fish with circle hooks and let the rod load up. They are like spring loaded rod holders which allow a rod to bend over to the ground and making it virtually impossible to get the rod out by accident. They are also great for fishing in free spool and clicker. The rod is secure 100%. They are called " Heavy Duty Spiral Bank rod holders" I grind the square tip off and put a point on it and this helps to be able to push it down into the ground. I like too find really hard soil on the lake shore or river bank to sink them down all the way to the spiral start. Fish with confidence all night long with 3 or 4 rods and even catch a little nap if I so Choose...................... FISH ON! Get the Net!!!!!!:wink:

Attached Files:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love mine and will get another. In the past three years it has never let me down. It is one of my primary rods and gets plenty of use. I rarely turn on the lights as the glow works great. Just put in in the corner of your bed room and you wont be able to sleep. I wish all my rods would glow like that. Keep in mind that they glow in the dark. If you fish in a lighted area it wont seem like much. Talk about tough, I have hauled twenty foot logs afoot in diameter forty yards up river because my Berkley fifty pound wouldn't break! lol. Don't be afraid of this rod. As for rod holders it may be a little tight in a drift master, but still fits and for the bank I use my own invention.(http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=215928&postcount=1) I use a 7000 or a big Penn on my ten footer and can cast a mile with either one:wink:

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a couple that I use. I have not had any trouble with them. The darker it is outside the better you can see them. I don't use the light on them cause it gets kind of annoying after a while. They light up blue and it is a lot brighter at the base and the center than the tip. I leave the light off and use glow sticks on the end of the poles instead. The bases are big and there isn't any good way to make them smaller. It is the cap on the end of the base that holds the batteries in that is the largest part. They are a good pole for the price and I like mine. Just don't buy them expecting to much from the "glow". It isnt that impressive.

This is one in action at our gathering we had. As you can see it aint "glowing".

16. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I have had a 8 foot rod for a couple years now, its one of my favorite rods i own.

17. rockfordflathunter

rockfordflathunter New Member

State:
    rockford,illino
    This is an awsome rod for the money!Great sesitivity and plenty of backbone and the best thing its only 30 bucks!!!!I prefer the 8ft - 9ft mh for flatheads and the medium action is perfect for channels.:wink:

18. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    There is a guy who fished with us until he moved off, and instead of putting batteries in his....he put an 8" glow stick in the handle, and would Push it out to the end. This would send the glow stick up into the end of the rod and light up the tip perfectly!!!!I am thinking of doing mine that way if my batteries run down and I forget to bring more.:wink:

19. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Wow thats a good idea. One of those that cost like a buck? What color did he use that worked the best?

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.