Berkley glowstick rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by great pappy cat, Oct 21, 2006.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I recently purchased a 10ft spinning rod.I like that they are big and beefy rods but the whole point is that youre supposed to be able to detect nite bites.the glowing leds are located just above the handle and at the ferrell.when activated it lights up these areas light blue.thing is it only lights up these areas and not the tip where you need it.Supossedly you turn the leds on to charge the blank.then turn them off and the rod glows on its own.It does a poor job at best it barely glows and the charge doesnt last long at all maybe 10 min.and again it only glows at the ferrell and above the handel.I tried charging the tip with my spot light but for all the longer it glows its not worth it .I think berkly had a good idea but needed to spend more time engineering them.save your money and invest in small 1/8"dia.x1 1/2"lg. green cyalume glowsticks and attatch them to your rod tip.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Some people say to "charge" the rod with a blacklight. I use the clickers most time are a lantern depending upon my mood never tried a glow rod though. I do use glowsticks everyonce in a blue moon on a slip bobber.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys for posting.I think this is one fishing item I'll steer clear of!:smile2:

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There's always someone trying to make a better mousetrap:roll_eyes:

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I had one that I had to sell , but I really liked it , the more I used it , the longer it would glow w/o the L.E.D.'s

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Joe I have heard the same reports on the berkley glowstick rods, they don't light up as expected and last very long.We have a sponsor here and also a BOC Brother that owns Main Wolf Products and has the green glow sticks for sale 100 for $10.00 dollars I belive the price is plus shipping and them Bad boys are 8in. long and will last all night! Also the Ugly stik tiger is only $55.00 dollars about $20.00 more dollars than a Glow Stick rod and they are Awesome will handle any fish swimming in our lakes and rivers You might want to check them out! And also welcome aboard the BOC. were glad to have You. J.D
    :big_smile_2:

7. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Let your glow rod sit out in the sun all day.Then it glows real good.My son does this and it works great.A blacklight works also for a quick charge.

8. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    When I nightfish I use the small glowsticks that have a groove on the bottom of them so that you can snap them directly on to your rod tip without tape. They last several hours and you don't have to worry about them coming off. The only drawback is that they are expensive, I get them at wallyworld for about $2.50 for a pack of 2. Sounds like I'd save a lot of money by buying Main Wolfs glowsticks.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have to say I love mine. The two lights are better than none. One set of batteries has lasted all season. In complete darkness my pole shines great with out the lights turned on. I never try to charge it with any light. I have a black pole that I use Wolf products on, they work great, but my glow stick is lit up enough the way it is. When the pole bends with a good hit, believe me you cant miss the strike. :big_smile:

10. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have one and it works best if it has been in the sun for a while.

11. ckhismine

ckhismine New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have 2 of the glow rods and it is true the longer you use them the better they glow.

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    How well do the rods cast? I was thinking of getting one for Bank fishing.

13. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    I never night fish much but I love an ugly stick so I may have to stick with useing the small glowsticks on the end

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey Jailcop, I happen to know that SudDawg really likes the GlowStick that he got from you, shortly later he went and bought another 8 footer for his spinning reel, and I bought a 7 footer. They are similar to the Big Game in action and performance, just a cool gimmick that Berkley came up with, I have found that If you leave them out in the sun for most of the day, that they will glow really bright in the dark, and the glow works even when there is some light too. When I got mine it was from wally worlds website for less than $30 shipped to my door, it is a 7 foot meduim action spinning rod.

Aaron

TA2D

15. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I really like mine. Like TA2D said I bought one, then decided I wanted another for one of my larger spinning reels. Both 8 footers.

SudDawg

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a 8 footer and a 9 footer yesterday and even in the garage they were very bright without the batteries. I can't see how they could be bad compared to a regular black rod.

17. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    i love my 8 ft rod and thinking of picking up another longer one, i agree with the other folks. leave it out in the sun and it does make a big difference.

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used my 8 and 9 yesterday and they are awesome. I even forgot to buy some batteries for them and they still worked awsome. I can't wait to see how well they work with the batteries. I want 6 more of them. Eventually I will be replacing all my rods with them. They are great and I would recomend them to anyone.

19. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use bells for night fishing and it works fine... why need to see the rod tip when you can hear it lol

20. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    have a 7'er and like it I leave the the lite on when nite fishing and it help lite up the area i fish and the other polls near by(white ugly stik catfish mods), a ok poll for channels up to 10lb, it also cast ok, wouldent trust it on any thing big