Berkley Glow Stick

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by wylie catter, Jul 6, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I bought one of these a few days ago, and I'm a little dissapointed. Even though it does what it says it will do. It has two leds in it which are turned on at the bottom of the butt. And it runs off of three AAA batteries also in the butt. And when you turn it off it is supposed to keep glowing for a long time. And it does. But it's real dim. It would probably be real good for bank fishing in a low light condition. I fished off the back of my boat and with my anchor light on the white rods around this rod were just as visible as it was. Now if I turned my anchor light off it really shined, but I have to leave it on. The rod feels good and looks cool, just don't expect too much like I was. By the way the rod was $36.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for the heads up. was looking at those

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have an 8ft m/h and am pretty satisfied with it . The light shows thru down to the tip, and glows for a long time , it 's not going to blind you but bites are detectable . I usually run mine for a couple hours so it gets a good charge . Would I buy another one ? I would have to think about that pretty hard but I don't dislike the rod .
    Thanks
    Brian

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I got one and it went back because the lights in it didn't light up at all... Talk about a nightmare. I wanted to return it and the company said they wouldnt return it and Berkley would send me a new one, but I didn't want a new one. Not a fun time.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The thing I dont like about them is the tip guide, they dont have an insert and are gonna get groves in them and cut line.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I been checking them out and really appreciate the start of this thread and all the impute. Thanks brothers! You all a good folks:smile2:

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I will stick with my Glowsticks and elec tape on the end. Easy and dont have to worry about them wearing out like the rod. Everything electrical will eventually wear out.

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    i bought a glow stik about to weeks ago and i love it. i glows bright through the whole rod.

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They need to make them light all the way to the tip. I have 3 , 1 is 10ft m/h, 2 are 7ft m/h I like the action. The handles feel weak at the reel seats to me.

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Well this was the whole point to Berkley making them. If there is light shining, there is no need for one of your own. If it is completely dark though, then you may want the glowing. My friend has one and its a really nice rod. 9 foot I think, and it has handled everything that has been thrown at it so far. Just my two cents.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I have 3 of them in the casting rod style. Two 7 footers and one 10 footer. I have never used the 10 footer though since it was a bit to heavy an action for the way I fish most of the time. But, it has its place (when the time is right).

All in all I have been satisfied with them but I would not buy anymore. The price is not bad on them. But, I don't like the handle on them (just looks cheap to me) and like Flathunter said about the tip guide having no insert etc. is something I really dislike as well. I am satisified with the action of the 7 footers but it may be a bit to soft to suit the way many people fish and the types and sizes of baits they throw.

As for the glow, it is not bad but does not light up all the way to the tip but you can still detect a strike. Many times I will not turn it on and just shine a light on it for a bit and it shows up plenty good enough for me when I'm fishing from the bank.

Personally, if I had been building a rod using LED's, I would have focused more on just lighting up the tip. Since, with more area lit up you are not as focused on the tip, you just notice that a whole bunch of length of the rod is lit up. Whereas, with just the tip lit up, it catches your eyes faster. Hence, just taping a glow stick on and/or having a luminous tip is probably the best way to go at the present time.

One thing for certain though (at least in my area), they generate a lot of interest and conversation from people, be they fishermen or not.

12. J.P.M.

J.P.M. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have two of them and the lights quit working in one of them so i replaced them with a jim moyer boss rod.

13. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Has anyone used braided line on the glowstick rods? I have 3 of them and was wondering about how well they handle the braided line.

14. HuntinforCats

HuntinforCats New Member

State:
    PA
    I use powerpro the tip is fine, to appreciate how the rod glows you have to be in the dark totally no light.

15. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the info now i no i will pass on them thanks again

16. King Cat101

King Cat101 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought a 7 foot Glow Stick in the casting model from Sentry Dog Man (My uncle). So far it has done what I wanted for night fishing and I am very satisfied with the glow. It seems to do well when I'm using live bluegill for bait but I have not yet hooked into a big flathead.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Thats probally because of the blank not going through the handle. I believe I've read on here some where a while back that someone had their rod brake at the handle because of this.

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    My wife was looking at those but I told her to beware of those "frilly" contraptions. Maybe I'll have to get her one since so many people are giving it a decent review. I may get a gator for both of us though, or maybe one of the coveted Tiger rods. huh?

19. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I have one that I don't use anymore. We mainly fish off the bank with a light and the white rods show up better than the glowstick when there is a light on. And like most guys have mentioned, I don't know why they wouldn't have put an insert in the tip its just a cheap chrome tip that is going to wear out. Come to think of it, that's probably why they didn't put an insert in it. Duhhh:crazy: