Berkley Glow Stick Rod!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rspd507, Nov 18, 2007.

1. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I was considering buying about three of these rods, the Berkley Glow Sticks. I was just wondering if any of you use them or have used them, and how you rate them among some of the other rods out there. Ive never owned one yet but know several who do. They have said that they work and perform really well. Like I said, Id just like to get some of my fellow BOC members opinion on the subject. Thanks, rspd507

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    i bought one this past summer, loved it. Would twist the light activator on our way to wherever we were fishing and by the time we would get there, light rod would would be activated so you could turn the brighter blue lite off and still have a very visible glow. Big help on those dark nights out on the river! Unfortunately, lost mine yesterday as I was throwing out my cast net. Wasn't using it, had it lying down, somehow the net snagged the reel handle and it went airborne. It sunk very quickly in 40 ft of swift water. Will I buy another one?? You bet, this spring!

Linda

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    My wife Had to have one.....it never leaves the garage now. might be ok for channel cats but thats about it IMO

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have one ....It is a medium action and I have a shakesphere c something on it I like it for a rod but I think the GLOW is overrated,the tip isnt bright enough and when I turn the light on it blids my night vision,the light in it is just not right............but it is a good novelty since I collect glow in the dark stuff

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think its a pretty decent rod myself. I have the 7ft Spinning model medium rating. Depending on the individual could be a bit more stout.(others say its too stiff) I hear the 8ft model is a bit more stout though. Is it a world class type of rod probably not, but I think it will do the job. Netmanjack link pretty much sums it up. No one seems to carry these rods at least around here to test them out. If you are looking for a soft tip or anything like that this rod isnt. Just my two cents though....

6. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The only place that carries them around here(North Alabama) is Gander Mountain. If you have GM in your area, go by and check them out. They seem to be decent rods for the money. I usually get a Gander Mountain gift card for Christmas. If I do I'll probably go bay and get a couple.

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I bought one and didn't have it a week before I noticed the tip was broke. The supports for the tip were not welded to the eye on one side and now my line gets caught in there sometimes. I'll replace the tip eventually, but like Brad said it's great for Channels, but I wouldn't want to catch anything over 20lbs. with it. I say this because I had an 18lbs. Blue on the rod earlier this last summer and it had that pole bent in half in the current I thought I had a monster on till I got it up by the boat.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Ross;
    The rod your asking about seems to have a Love/Hate relationship with those who own them.
    If this is the rod and I am remembering correctly, there was a flurry of posts about a year or so ago where many of our Brother's and Sister's were having trouble with the electrical part of that rod. I seem to remember that battery connections broke or were faulty, tips were breaking off, and some other problems, but mainly I remember the electrical part of the rod being complained about the most.
    However, it's quite possible I am thinking of the wrong rod, that the manufacture has repaired the defaults, or a bad lot got out to the public.
    To protect you, I would suggest to you that you visit our Archives and Library under Rods, Rod Tests, Rod Reports, ect, and see if your specific rod has any reports filed on it.
    Also, as one member suggested, if you have a GM around not too far away you might plan a visit to that store and do a "Hands On" inspection of the rod as this is always preferable to just looking at a photograph no matter if it's in color or not.
    And, of course, pay close attention to the posts of the Brother's and Sister's that own, or have owned, one and make your decision after reading all the posts.
    I have never known a Brother or Sister to deliberately, and knowingly, give wrong, or bad, advice on any products that they have owned!
    The members of the BOC are a "Cut Above" the rest when it comes to knowing products used for serious Catfishing and how they preform. They are also more than a "Cut Above" in their willingness to help ANYONE that asks a question on the board about fishing equipment or other outdoor related questions. If they have a fault, and none of us are perfect, it would have to be there sometimes overexuberance in willingness to help with questions. To the newer member this can be a bit overwhelming but it's something one adapts to quickly and then comes to expect from such an August group of people.
    I got off the track a bit :embarassed: {{ I seem to do that from time to time }}but I hope that at least some of this post will help you out in your question. :big_smile:
    Thank You for sharing your question with us.
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I knew Matt was going to chime in on this one:big_smile:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have the 7 foot wish I would of got the 8fter though. Maybe I will get another one dag I have too many rods............