Berkley fishing rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 5, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    ANYONE OUT THERE USING BERKELY RODS IN THE 8'6" RANGE IN A MEDIUM HEAVY ACTION. THE CHANNEL CATS IN MY AREA PROBABLY TOP OUT AT THE 10-15 LB RANGE AND THE GLOWSTICK I HAVE IS JUST TO STIFF SOMETIMES TO SEE THE BITE! ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?

2. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    Berkley E-Cat #1.

Oh wait, they quit making those. What were they thinking?

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Jack you might try a 7' MH ugly stik, I've been using one for over 15 years to fish for channels. Its hard to beat for the money if your on a budget, $30. Its a good rod to see the bite. I use abu garcia 6000 on mine, I hope this helps you out.

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I agree with the using the Ugly Cat !!!! I love the two that I own:big_smile:. The two that I have are 8 Ft. and I just love the sensitivity on the MH action.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    If you like the Berkley rods and fish for channel cats I would go with a Berkley Big Game rod. They are great, you certainly won't have to worry about them being too stiff:smile2: I have two and I like them a lot. They are fun with the smaller fish and can still bring a 40-50lb fish to the boat. They're only $20 so they're really really hard to beat for the money.

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Berkley Big Game rod is softer than the Glow-Stik as Fatflattie already mentioned. I have both of these rods the Big Game runs for $20. They should y do you fine for channel cats. Not sure if I would use them for any heavy duty fishing but for channels it will do.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Check out Okuma's Fin Chaser combo. You'll love them for channel catfishing especially if you use circle hooks. Usually retail for around $40.

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    u might try bass pros catmax M/H there great rods :wink:

9. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    If you got your heart set on Berkley, here's what I'd recommend...

-Berkley Cherrywood Glass 8' MH (They make an 8' & a 9', not an 8'-6")

These rods are nearly identical to the discontinued Berkley Reflex models. The only goofy thing is the rod blanks are a dark red. By now... rod blank color doesn't really matter to me- I've got white, black, burnt orange, blue, red, and soon to be yellow blanks on rods I own.

My other suggestion for larger channel cats is the Ugly Stick Catfish series of rods. I believe 8' is as long as you can get and they are a great rod for fighting fish the size you are describing.

10. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    for summer fishing all we use are 8'mh glowsticks. our channels sound to be about the same as far as larger fish go in that 10-15 pound range. we do switch over to medium action spinning gear in the winter when the bites are extremely light. i agree fully that the glowsticks are a bit stiff for wintering channel cats but summer fishing we have no problems with them