berkley cherrywood rod

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by cliff n york, Feb 9, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    does anyone use one for crappie and brim. also what model number an where can i get one

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have one of the light action ones and it is a nice rod. I have caught a 10 lb buffalo on it and it held up just fine. Also alot of fun to catch 3-4 skipjack at a time with it.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Cliff , Its a great rod for crappie, bass, trout, and other 5 lb. and under fishes. The one drawback to it is , if you continually fight big fish with it, the line tends to cut grooves into the top 3 eyelets. Ive noticed this over the past couple years. I jig for crappie, flatheads , and buffalo at Perry Reservoir here in Kansas at the Outlet , and I hook into alot of bigger fish 10 lbs and above, after a while I noticed my 6 and 8 lb line would break occasionally when fighting bigger fish. I wondered for the longest what was causing this , as the line would break right by the tip of my rod. Come to find out those grooves the line was cutting into my eyelets was causing my line to fray and eventually pop. Its a great rod , dont get me wrong, cheap , and dependable , If I were you , I just wouldnt use it for anything bigger than 5 or so lbs. , and be sure to check your eyelets occasionally for wear. Here is a link so you can order one on line. I recommend the 7 footer, it casts great. Good luck.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_99228_100002002_100000000_100002000_100-2-2

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got a 6 1/2 foot spinning rod for my father in law that's a cherrywood. very light rod, but strong. he uses it for all the smaller fish we go for- trout, sand bass, largemouth, crappie, and bream. it has held up fine. we use silver thread an-40 on our light rigs. i have never seen the guides have any damage as they are stainless. i would recommend this rod to anyone for a light rig.

5. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I bought a 7ft rod a couple of years ago and its still just as good as it was out of the store. I got mine at Bass Pro, but I've seen them at Wal-Mart. They work great for smaller fish, but I've caught a 25 pound carp and it didn't hurt it any. I'd reccomend it to anyone that wants a good, dependable, cheap rod.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The only time I've experienced damage similar to this on any rods was with the use of braided lines. Newer braids are more rounded and less likely to cut, but the "old style" braids will tear up even the strongest of eyelets if your not carefull.

But on subject, I bought my 6 year old daughter the 5 1/2" UL last year, and she's had a blast with flier, bluegill, bluespot, crappie, redears, redfinned pickeral and bowfin up to 3lbs.! Very tough little rod, not the most sensitive, but very tough!

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a 6'6" cherrywood graphite rod last year. Its a medium heavy. What I like about it is its cheap, but durable. I haven't had it long enough to wear out anything but its holding up well. Its not real sensitive, but I don't expect much with a medium heavy rod. I got it as a combo, and the reel is not so hot, but I like the rod.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    you were using braid i assume. thats what was cutting eyes and causing freys. the older braids were like a hacksaw in eyes.

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    you may check Wal-Mart in case you are very lucky, but they had those cherrywood rods on clearance! I almost got one, but decided against it at the last minute. Anyhow, good luck!

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I had one of those rods years ago when I was a teen but cant remember much about it. I believe it was a real light action rod but did land me some decent fish though.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    No Jeremy , I was using 8 lb. Trilene Vanish Flurocarbon. Im telling you guys , I caught "alot" of 5-15 lb. fish with this rod, and eventually the line will cut grooves into the eyelets. See , I fish alot at Perry Reservoir's Outlet Park near Lawrence, Ks in the spring time. They let out 1000-3000 cfs of water darn near all spring which brings all sorts of fish species up to the outlet. I go down their and jig with the intent of catching crappie, walleye, and white bass, but more times than not you catch big buffalo, flathead, big wipers , sometimes carp , and big gar. Now im not gonna break off my line on purpose just cause I know its a big fish , Im gonna bring him in and see what it is. After fighting all these big fish , its puts enormous strain on the rod and the eyelets. Now I dont think this fella that started the thread is gonna put this much wear and tear on his cherrywood, I was just warning him that if he intends to do so, he can count on this happening. This is a great rod for the price, it works wonders for crappie , trout, bluegill , bass , small channels, and other 5 lb. and under species, so dont let my experience with it deter you from buying one. The eyelets are not made from a hard metal. They are soft and will get grooves cut in them with enough time and pressure. Good luck to you all in your fishing this spring and summer. :smile2: