Berkley big game?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by JoshB, Jul 6, 2006.

1. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    after using shakespear omniflex (the cheap stuff) i spooled 2 of my abu reels with 25# green big game. Man that stuff was like fishing with a dang slinky. And i back lashed every time I casted the dang thing. is this normal or did I get a bad spool? Will it eventually calm down? thanks

Josh

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know about Big Game but I know my Cajun Red does the same thing until I use it once are twice.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never had that problem with big game, you may have gotten some old stuff, fish with a few times and see if it improves.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I'm with you, flathunter. I have never had Big Game slinky up on me like that. It is a little curly, but that is to be expected from monofilament. After the first couple of uses it does get really loose though. Dont ditch Big Game because of this spool, Josh. It will get better.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm with Jack and barbel on this, Big Game is my favorite line of all, and for a good reason. It has out preformed all other lines I have used. I've never had mine "Slink" up or anything. I can cast great without backlashes with it, and it's tough as nails. Definitely don't give up on it.

Now, I have to say Cajun Red Lightning is one heck of a line also, I'd say it's probably the best casting line I've ever used, but not quite as good as Big Game overall, and it's about impossible to see. I like to be able to see my lines, and that's why I always use bright colored lines.

Good luck!

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Get you some Real Magic (used to be called Reel Magic until they learned that it works for other stuff too), spray your line, rod and reel with the stuff and it'll make the line lay smooth as silk. As for Big Game, is there any other kind of monofilament?

7. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if it's that tough i can deal with the "slink", lets face it no matter what shape the line is, if a big ole flattie hits it, you're gonna know. but the backlashing was making me crazy. i can't deal with that

Josh

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Theres one other thing you may want to consider Josh, How full is your reel? a lot of times a reel will get over filled and very unmanageable.

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    On this note it makes me think too. What model of reel are you using anyways? You may also want to tighten up the tension on the reel. My Penn just has a really fluid spool, so it is hard to cast it very far without backlashing just a little bit, but then again there is no way to control any braking on it, spare my thumb. I hope this helps :big_smile:

10. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    using cheaper line to begin i would say has a lot to do with it. that omiflex is very very thick. and big game isnt check your brake make minor adjustments. and practice. but i have used berkley big game for years and i have never had this problem...

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I also use it on my abu's and never have had this problem. Don't give up on it it's great line and for a great price.

12. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    i use big game for all fish just because it is so smooth and is really strong.:big_smile:

13. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    have it on abu 5500s, they're not over filled. Maybe i was just having a casting impaired kinda night. I'll try it again tonight. Thanks guys

Josh

14. JoshB

JoshB New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well i used the big game again friday night and it was great, no slink, and no backlashes:big_smile: . maybe i was just having a retard night the first time:roll_eyes: . thanks for the help guys

Josh

15. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Big game is the best mono out there in the bang for your buck category. It very possibly is the best outright mono also. I us big game on most of my rigs.

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried braided line last year and it sucked compared to the berkeley big game. Don't know exactly what i was thinking but i'll never switch again.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I absolutely hate braided lines, they are crap compared to mono for sure.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I use big game green also and have had it slinky on me as well. I took it off my reel and let the left over line on the spool, sit in some hot water for approx 15 minutes then I spooled it on the reel. It never coiled up again.

19. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I spooled up some 30# Big Game Green, and have lost two decent sized fish...one my error completely (my knot came loose), the other I saw my line snap with my fish only about 15' out from bank for no apparent reason. I think it was just a bad spool, therefore I went back to 30# Cajun Red Lightning.

20. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I just bought some big game and put it on a reel about three day ago. It did the same for me but every cast it got better and better.