Berkley Big Game vs. Berkley Big Cat

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Jul 12, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just bought some of the 30 lb. Berkley Big Cat solar green. I was trying to compare it to the reg. Berkley Big Game in solar green. I couldn't tell any difference between them. If any of you brothers have tried "both" lines, would you please give me your opinions on them. I know DH did some line testing awhile back, but I don't believe he tested any of the Big Cat. Are these lines pretty much the same? Any comments or info much appreciated!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I was wondering the same thing, only difference i saw was when you buy the big cat line, you get less on the spool and it cost more

3. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've Never Used Either One But I'm Willing To Bet It's Just Another Marketing Ploy :confused2: Elliot

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I thought it was the same stuff, just diff packaging????

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree. Same line, different packaging.

6. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I use the big game, but around here have not seen the big cat in the stores.

7. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I got it at Academy Sports. It was a 275 yd. spool, and the reg. Big Game was a 330 yd. spool. They were actually about the same price, just a few pennies different.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Respectfully, I have to disagree that it is the same line. I have the clear Big Game line and the green Big Cat line and the Big Game is not as tough. I tied one end of the lines to my bumper and the other to my fence and slowly pulled forward until one of the lines popped. I tried this 10 times and every time the Big Game broke first. Not too scientific, but it convinced me.

9. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    that pretty scientific to me. I would never thought of going that far as in testing a line. I just use what everyone says is good.

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always used Big Game because it is easy to find. I went fishing with my brother and he got hung on something. His hand was hurt so I was trying to break the snag for him. I tell ya...that was the toughest mono I had ever tried to break. I asked him what test and was surprized when he said 30lb. He was using Big Cat line. That's when I did the test and have switched to Big Cat exclusively since then. I am about to purchase some IGFA class Big Game and do the same comparison. You can only purchase Big Cat in the small spools and the IGFA comes in 1200 yard spools. I'l post the results as soon as it comes in.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Big game is all I ever use.

12. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have used both and have found the Big Cat to be more abrasion resistant. The Big Cat has less stretch and I think you get better hook sets.The solar color on both types works equally well with a Black Light. Take care and God Bless.

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The Berkley Big Game is good line and probably the same as the Big cat line.
    I use the Ande solor green, It has very low memory and is tough as nails.

14. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    i may try the bumper test but so far i havent been able to break the bigcat 40lb i got. but seems same as the solar big game to me. but i shall test.

15. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Matt, let us know the results after you test the lines out.

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have used both, and they are pretty close. Big Cat has more memory than big game. Big cat is a little more abrasion resitent. But big cat is more stiff and won't cast as far. It's like picking your poison

Thats why I like suffix it's as abrasion resistant but has no memory as smooth as a baby's bottom.lol

But I use all 3 and you really can't wrong!

Josh

17. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    well unfortunately i have to say that neither big cat or big game can stop a 3 ton F-150 tied to a tree with it but the big cat seems just a teeeeeeeeeeeny bit tougher and with a higher breaking strength.now it may vary by spool of course but i gotta say the big cat was more impressive. i just wish i could get it in a big huge spool

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    IGFA class line is supposed break close to the stated line strength with allowance for slight variance only. If you compare it to a regular spool of Big Game, you may find differences in the same weight classes. The reason Ande has been so popular with sport fishermen going for records is that it broke at or near the stated strength more consistantly than other makers line. Haven't looked in several years, but it seems that off the shelf regular mono usually breaks above the stater strength. But, its usually the connector knots that go first. Few, if any, mono knots for terminal tackle and lures test above 95%